Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Mission Accomplished

3 May 2015

Shakers promoted after a dramatic final day of the season

Bury secured the final automatic promotion place with a 1-0 win over Tranmere Rovers at Prenton Park on the final day of the season after Southend lost at Morecambe.


Tom Soares struck in the 60th minute in front of the end that housed over 2,000 away fans to confirm the Shakers place in League One for the 2015/16 season.


David Flitcroft made two changes from the win against AFC Wimbledon with Danny Mayor and Ryan Lowe replacing Craig Jones and Danny Nardiello.


Bury started the game on the front foot and came close to the opening goal of the game in the 2nd minute. Andrew Tutte’s shot from just outside the area was spilled by Owain fon Williams before it was claimed by the former Shakers loanee at the second attempt under pressure from Ryan Lowe.


Chris Hussey was next to test Fon Williams in the 12th minute as he tried his luck from long range with a ferocious effort that forced the Welshman into a smart save to keep the scores level.


Tranmere rarely tested Nick Pope all game but they thought they had found a way past him six minutes after Hussey’s shot. Max Power brought the ball down on the edge of the area before smashing a volley into the back of the net, only for his celebration to be cut short by referee Simon Hooper as he ruled that Power had brought it down with his hand.


The Shakers continued to apply the pressure and created two more chances before the half time whistle. First, Danny Mayor fired narrowly wide from Nathan Cameron’s cut back before Tom Soares forced fon Williams into another save after being played in by Hallam Hope to ensure that the two sides went into the break at 0-0.


David Flitcroft made two changes at half time with Craig Jones and Danny Nardiello coming on for Andrew Tutte and Hallam Hope, but it was the home side who created the first chance of the second half. Matthew Hill sent in a teasing cross towards the six yard area that was met by Rory Donnelly, whose header flashed wide of Nick Pope’s goal.


Bury continued to press following that early chance and opened the scoring in the 60th minute. Danny Mayor and Chris Hussey exchanged passes on the left hand side before the latter pulled back for Tom Soares, who took a touch to set himself before poking home from six yards out to send over 2,000 travelling Bury fans wild behind the goal.


Following the goal, news filtered through that Southend were now 3-1 down at Morecambe and Bury knew that if results stayed the same that they would secure the final automatic promotion place. Flitcroft made his third and final change of the game in the 65th minute with Chris Sedgwick replacing Ryan Lowe and brought with it a change of formation as Bury moved to 4-5-1.


Tranmere pushed for an equaliser late on but, once again, they couldn’t find a way past Nick Pope in the Bury goal. Jason Koumas curled a free kick over from 25 yards before Pope denied Iain Hume at his near post in the 89th minute to all but seal the win.


Four minutes of added time were indicated at the end of the second half and Bury were able to see it out with ease to secure automatic promotion into SkyBet League One after Southend lost against Morecambe at the Globe Arena.


Advertisement block