Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match Report: Bury 1 - 0 Burton Albion

22 November 2015

The Shakers beat fellow promotion hopefuls Burton Albion 1-0 at Gigg Lane to keep their spot in the play-off places.

Bury cut the points deficit between themselves and their opponents, Burton Albion, on Saturday to only 2 points after a fantastic hard fought win, against a tough Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink side.


The Shakers started the game off looking the better side, passing the ball around and giving the Brewers very little time on the ball, however they struggled to carve out any goal scoring chances for themselves.


The best came in the first minute when Tom Soares’s shot took a deflection and caused Jon McLaughlin to make a reaction save to deny an early goal.


The Brewers started finding their way into the game forcing more possession their way as the game went on. They had a few half chances, but nothing really threatening, however they did go close when Mark Duffy floated a free-kick into the Bury box which John Mousinho volleyed over the bar.


minute when Stuart Beavon raced into a one-on-one situation with Daniel Bachmann, however the on-loan goalkeeper did brilliantly to chase the striker and avert any danger, although the Burton contingent believed they deserved a penalty for the challenge.thAnother chance fell fir Burton on the 25


Recent loan-signing Joe Dodoo looked very promising on the right side of midfield, constantly running at the Burton defence causing them problems. As well as creating chances for others, he also seemed adapt at finding the right spot, this was the case when Tom Pope found the pacey forward who found space to shoot through the crowded box which forced Jon McLaughlin into a reaction save.


40 mins – GOAL – Tom Soares found Joe Dodoo in space on the right, he took a shot on the edge of the box which hit the foot of Burton Albion defender Jerome Binnom-Williams, which looped into the net for the opener. 1-0


The half-time whistle was soon blown with the home side going in 1-0 up against one of the form sides of the League.




Both teams came out at half time looking lively, wanting to get an early game which both sides would have most likely changed the course of the game, however this never happened and both teams soon started dying down their attacks


minute with Kelvin Etuhu - who was making his first appearance after a few months on the side-lines with an injury – coming on for Tom Pope, to give the Shakers more steal in the middle of the park.thDavid Flitcroft made his first change of the game on the 58


Burton had a few very good chances in a short space of time, with the Shakers’ defence having to do very well to deny them. The last chance was a 20 yard screamer which was fantastically saved by Daniel Bachmann.


David Flitcroft then made his second change with Craig Jones coming on for Joe Dodoo, who was given a standing ovation by the Bury fans after a fine debut by the Leicester City youngster.


Kelvin Etuhu went very close to having a dream substitute appearance when he picked up a loose ball on the edge of the box, he fired it goal wards taking a slight deflection off McLaughlin, hitting the crossbar.


Burton threw everything in the last 15 minutes of the game, but to no avail and the final whistle soon blew to ensure the Shakers kept their promotion hopes alive going into the busy Christmas period.




Next-up for the Shakers is a Tuesday night fixture at Gigg Lane against Scunthorpe United, 7.45pm kick-off.


STARTING LINEUP:Daniel Bachmann, Joe Riley, Chris Hussey, Peter Clarke, Leon Clarke, Danny Mayor, Tom Pope, Tom Soares, Danny Pugh, Nathan Cameron, Joseph Dodoo


BENCH:Jack Ruddy, Kelvin Etuhu, Chris Sedgwick, Craig Jones, Scott Burgess, Danny Rose, Reece Brown


REFEREE:Mr A Haines (Tyne and Wear).


ATTENDANCE:3,788 (247 Brewers Fans).

Advertisement block