Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match Report: Bury 4 - 0 Wigan Athletic

7 November 2015

The Shakers dominated their first Round FA Cup tie against a lacklustre Wigan Athletic to bag a place in the second round of the Emirates FA Cup with a 4-0 win.

The Shakers looked the stronger side from start to finish, dominating the first round tie against Wigan Athletic with an emphatic 4-0 win over their local rivals.


The Latics were unable to deal with Bury’s supreme aerial threat, with goals by Tom Pope, Danny Mayor, Nathan Cameron and Leon Clarke.


Before kick-off Gigg Lane had a Remembrance Day Service, which allowed all at the stadium to show their appreciation to all that have lost their lives fighting for our Country.

David Flitcroft made one change to the team that beat Blackpool 4-3 last weekend, with Captain Nathan Cameron coming back into the fold after an injury kept him out last week, this meant that defender Reece Brown had to settle for sitting on the bench.


Wigan Athletic started the game looking the stronger side, although the Shakers looked strong defensively and didn’t really give them any chance to look dangerous in front of goal. The same however could have been said for the Latic’s defence whenever Bury got forward.


The Shakers started slowly getting themselves into the game after passing the ball around well and finding space on the pitch to get forward, looking especially dangerous on the left hand side through Danny Mayor and Chris Hussey.


18 mins – GOAL – Chris Hussey floated in a great cross from the left after a brilliant chip by Danny Mayor to play him into space. The cross reached the head of Tom Pope whose header crawled under Richard O’Donnell for the opener. 1-0.


The Shakers nearly made it two, minutes later after Chris Hussey whipped in a corner from the left which was headed goal wards by commanding centre-back, Peter Clarke, however Richard O’Donnell was there to hold it safely in his arms.


Tom Soares tried to recreate his fantastic goal against Blackpool last week, but on the right, when he picked up the ball 30 yards out and had a shot, however it curved wide.


The Shakers started looking a dominant force and had another brilliant chance to go 2-0 up this time after a Tom Soares cross was met by Tom Pope, however his header soared just over the cross-bar.


34 mins – GOAL – Jacob Mellis had a fantastic run virtually the full length of the pitch on the counter attack, Danny Mayor was with him, so Mellis squared the ball to Mayor and the creative midfielder smashed the ball into the back of the net. 2-0.


The game slowed down in tempo with neither team as explosive going forward as they were at the start of the half. Two minutes of added time were soon given.


45 + 1 mins – GOAL – The Shakers got the third in extra time via Chris Hussey’s second assist of the game. The full-back’s corner was headed into the net by Nathan Cameron. 3-0.


The Shakers ensured they went into half-time with an emphatic 3-0 lead.




Going into the second half Wigan manager Gary Caldwell made two changes to shake up his side and help to claw their way back into the game.


The Shakers started the half with the same dominance as they finished the first half. Chris Hussey had a great chance when he forced Richard O’Donnell into a fantastic save from a free-kick on the right hand side, the keeper had to divert it around the post.


Bury kept dominating with Wigan Athletic not really having an answer to the Shakers’ aerial play, especially from the delivery of Chris Hussey’s magic left foot.


minute, but it took a deflection for a corner, which was easily dealt with by the Bury defence.thWigan substitute Micheal Jacobs had a chance for the Latics on the 59


minute with Leon Clarke coming on for Danny Rose.stDavid Flitcroft made his first change of the game shortly after on the 61


66 mins – GOAL – A superb cross by Joe Riley from the right was converted into the back of the net by Leon Clarke to give the Shakers a four goal lead. 4-0.


The Latics were never able to get into the game, with the Shakers’ 4-0 lead looking too comfortable for them to ever claw back, especially as the Bury defence looked unshakable.


minute as he raced into the box with no defender around him, however his shot didn’t bother Danial Bachmann in the Bury net.thCraig Davies had a rare Wigan chance on the 80


David Flitcroft soon made his second change of the game bringing on the versatile Reece Brown on for Tom Soares. He then made his final change a couple of minutes later with the introduction of young midfielder Scott Burgess who replaced Jacob Mellis.


The Shakers kept Wigan at bay for the remainder of the match. The whistle soon blew to confirm their place in the second round of the Emirates FA Cup.




November, 3pm kick-off.thNext-up for the Shakers is an away trip to Gillingham in Sky Bet League One on Saturday 14


STARTING LINEUP:Daniel Bachmann, Joe Riley, Chris Hussey, Peter Clarke, Jacob Mellis, Danny Mayor, Tom Pope, Tom Soares, Danny Pugh, Nathan Cameron, Danny Rose


BENCH:Paddy Kenny, Chris Sedgwick, Leon Clarke, Scott Burgess, Reece Brown


REFEREE:Mr D Coote (Nottinghamshire).


ATTENDANCE:3,856 (1,296 Latics Fans).

Advertisement block