Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match Report: Bury 0 - 1 Morecambe

6 October 2015

The Shakers were knocked out of the JPT by a battling Morecambe side at Gigg Lane on a wet Tuesday night.

minute was the only difference in a very tight game, but was enough to put Bury’s Lancashire rivals through to the quarter-final of the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy.thMorecambe’s well worked goal on the 80


David Flitcroft made a flurry of changes to the squad for the match, looking to give game time to a number of players that haven’t had as much minutes as others. 


In these changes was the news that Scott Burgess would make only his second career start for the club after returning from a month loan at National North side Stalybridge Celtic. Chris Sedgwick, Danny Rose and Reece Brown have also been given a chance in the squad after sitting on the bench over recent weeks.


Morecambe Manager Jim Bentley also made a number of changes to the side that lost to Bristol Rovers in Sky Bet League Two last time out.


The game kicked off with the heavens open at Gigg Lane, but this didn’t stop both teams going for it from the off. Both teams had very early chances, the best being a 25 yard free-kick from Lee Molyneaux for the Shrimps forcing Rob Lainton into a good reaction save.


The Shakers started finding their feet in the game and dominating the proceedings in terms of possession, however they were still unable to carve out any real chances for themselves.


The game carried on in this vein going into the half hour mark, although Morecambe had started to get a bigger foothold forcing the Bury defence into some good defending.


The Shakers sparked into life going into the last ten minutes of the half with a number of good chances. Danny Rose had a shot from within the box but it was deflected out wide for Danny Mayor who crossed the ball back into the penalty area for Tom Pope, but his header went narrowly wide.


Joe Riley gave Tom Pope another good chance seconds later with a long cross, but the striker couldn’t quite reach it. The Shrimps soon shored up their defence to counteract this sudden spurt of life and looked to dampen Bury’s spark.


This was not the case however and the Shakers carried on pressing the visitors, but they were unable to make this spell count and went in at half-time tied at 0-0.




David Flitcroft made a double change at half-time with Danny Pugh and Craig Jones coming on for full-backs Joe Riley and Chris Hussey.


Nathan Cameron almost got his third goal of the season after Danny Pugh’s free-kick from the left flew in, but only able to get the ball goal-wards with his chest the Bury captain was unable to convert.


Reece Brown was the Shakers’ hero on the 55th minute with two excellent defensive moves, the first a tackle to stop a good attack, the second a block on the goal line to stop Morecambe getting the opener.


With the Shrimps pushing forward, it came the turn of ‘keeper Rob Lainton to make an excellent reaction save with his left foot to put the ball around the post and deny another good Morecambe chance.


In a hope of stunting the visitor’s pressure, the Shakers made a change on the 58th with Tom Soares coming on for Chris Sedgwick.



It worked, with the Shakers finding themselves with more possession, however Morecambe were still getting more balls in the final third forcing the Bury defence to again withstand some pressure from the visitors.


This pressure didn’t last too much longer, with the Shakers soon getting a foothold on the game with some excellent chances forcing the Shrimps defence to react quickly.


The Shakers went agonisingly close on the 69th minute with Tom Pope seeing his strong header cleared off the line by Ryan Edwards, the rebound was quickly put out before any of the Bury players in the box could get a head to it.


Tom Soares almost converted a Danny Pugh corner minutes later, but Barry Roche did magnificently well to reach the top right corner and put it around the post.


80 – GOAL – The Shrimps caught Bury on the counter-attack with a fast paced move down the right leading to Shaun Miller placing the ball into the net. 0-1.


The Shakers threw everything they had at Morecambe to force an equaliser, but to no avail. Bury will now concentrate their endeavors on the League with the Shrimps going back to the Lancashire coast knowing they are one step closer to a Wembley final in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy.




Next-up for the Shakers is a local derby in Sky Bet League One against ex-Premier League side Wigan Athletic at Gigg Lane on Saturday 10th October, kick-off 3pm.


STARTING LINEUP: Rob Lainton, Joe Riley (OFF - 45), Chris Hussey (OFF - 45), Hallam Hope, Danny Mayor, Tom Pope, Chris Sedgwick (OFF - 58)  , Scott Burgess, Nathan Cameron, Danny Rose, Reece Brown


BENCH: Craig Jones(ON - 45), Tom Soares (ON - 58), Danny Pugh (ON 45), Anthony Dudley


REFEREE: Mr M Brown (East Yorkshire).


ATTENDANCE: 1,508 (171 Morecambe Fans).


Match Sponsors were Decipher.

Advertisement block