Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match Report: Bury 2 - 2 Wigan Athletic

10 October 2015

The Shakers were held to a 2-2 draw by local rivals Wigan Athletic in Sky Bet League One at Gigg Lane.

minute.thThe Shakers started with a verve that got them a goal on the sixth minute through a Nathan Cameron header, they then stayed strong to deny Wigan throughout the first half. Bury then went 2-0 up via substitute Tom Pope on the 60


However, after Chris Hussey was sent off Wigan were given a new lease of life and scored two goals in the last 5 minutes to go away with a point.


After signing for the Shakers on Friday afternoon, loanee Lee Erwin from Leeds United made his debut start for Bury coming in for Danny Mayor who was nursing a knock. After a an excellent performance on Tuesday night Scott Burgess found himself back on the bench after a loan spell at Stalybridge Celtic.


The Shakers started the match with a high tempo looking to get an early goal to settle nerves of both themselves and the Bury fans, in what was Bury’s first League match against the Latics since 26th December 2001.


Jacob Mellis had a shot early on after Leon Clarke put the ball back to him after getting stuck in a crowded box, however it was blocked with the ball flying out for a corner.


6 – GOAL – Chris Hussey put in one of his trademark corners which fell perfectly onto the head of Nathan Cameron to get the Shakers an early lead. 1-0.


Peter Clarke almost doubled the lead on the 14th minute the exact same way, with the centre-half heading a Chris Hussey just wide of Jussi Jaaskelainen’s net.


The Latics started getting themselves into the game with some fast flowing attacking football, but never really looked like penetrating the Shakers’ confident back-line.


Both team’s proceeded to attack with a high tempo, this led the game to become an end-to-end affair with the Shakers looking the better side, but with very little in it.


There were very few chances during this period with both team’s attacking brilliantly, however the nature of the game didn’t feel like the Shakers were 1-0 up as the Latics didn’t look like a team that were losing.


Rob Lainton made a magnificent save on the 41st minute to deny a long distance shot by Yanik Wildschut with a strong fist, the Shakers defence then did brilliantly to clear the ball.


Th Latics started pushing for an equaliser with 5 minutes to go, but it was too little too late and the Shakers went in at half-time 1-0 up.


HALF-TIME: THE SHAKERS 1 – 0 Wigan Athletic


The second half started as high tempo as the first half ended, Joe Riley had a chance on the 46th minute from just outside the box, but it went just wide.


David Flitcroft made an early change on the 53rd minute with Tom Pope coming on for recent signing Lee Erwin – who was quiet but showed some moments of class.


Tom Pope made an instant impact nearly heading in a Chris Hussey from the back post only for it to be intercepted and put out for a corner.


60 – GOAL – Tom Pope converts a Reece Brown cross to put the Shakers 2-0 up, and put themselves even further away from Wigan’s grasp.


With a comfortable 2 – 0 lead the Shakers looked to stay strong and keep a clean sheet, however the Latics had other plans and threw everything at Bury for the last 30 minutes.


The Latics never really looked like scoring though as the Shakers defence defended everything, dealing with everything thrown at them with ease.


The game turned for the worse on the 80th minute though, when Chris Hussey was sent for an early bath after receiving his second yellow of the game.


Rob Lainton made a magnificent double save on the 85th minute after Chris McCann raced into the boss and put in a shot that was parried by Lainton, the ball then fell to Michael Jacobs who took shot, but again Lainton did brilliantly to deny them.


86 – GOAL - After pushing the Shakers defence to the limits, Grant Holt got the Latics back in the game with a headed goal after out muscling Nathan Cameron. 2-1.


90 – GOAL – The Latics got themselves on level terms, on the 90th minute with a well struck shot outside of the box by Wigan captain Craig Morgan. 2-2.


The Latics kept pushing for the winner, the Shakers defence stayed strong to deny them and the final whistle was blown after around 7 minutes of added time.


Although it was a disappointing result, it was still an all-important point on the board against side that are starting to find their fit in the League.




Next-up for the Shakers is the game we’ve all been waiting for as it is derby day against Rochdale on Saturday 17th October, 3pm kick-off.


STARTING LINEUP: Rob Lainton, Joe Riley, Chris Hussey, Peter Clarke, Jacob Mellis, Leon Clarke, Craig Jones, Lee Erwin, Tom Soares, Danny Pugh, Nathan Cameron (c)


BENCH: Hallam Hope, Tom Pope, Chris Sedgwick, Scott Burgess , Anthony Dudley, Danny Rose, Reece Brown


REFEREE: Mr G Salisbury (Lancashire).


ATTENDANCE:5,931 (1,677 Wigan Fans).

Advertisement block