Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 13/08/2016

13 August 2016

Gillingham 2 Bury1

Antony Kay’s 65th minute own goal was the difference at the Priestfield Stadium despite Tom Pope’s consolation goal in a 2-1 defeat against Gillingham.


Ryan Jackson burst out of the blocks for the home team as he opened the scoring on five minutes.


Kay converted Jackson’s cross into his own net in the second half, and it was all too late for Pope as he attempted to head Bury back into the game.


David Flitcroft stayed loyal to his side and the 4-3-3 formation that won 2-0 on the opening day of the SkyBet League One season.


The Shakers started on the front foot as Craig Jones’ cross from out wide found Pope at the back post, his header down fell to Nicky Clark but the man from Rangers in the summer snatched at the chance and fired over.


 minute. Full back Jackson found himself through on goal down the right wing before neatly slotting the ball under the onrushing Ben Williams.thHowever, it was the home side that continued their excellent goalscoring record this season with a goal on the 5


Neil Danns looked to add to his tally after his debut goal last Saturday, firstly opening up the Gillingham defence with some fancy footwork before playing Pope in down the left wing, the latter’s cross however could only be diverted out for a corner.


It was Jackson that was causing all kind of problems down the Gillingham right as he stood his ground despite the pressure from Greg Leigh before pulling the ball back for Josh Wright until Nathan Cameron stepped in and halted any shot on goal inside the Bury penalty box.


For all the possession the Shakers had, chances came few and far between. The hosts provided the last real goalscoring chance of the half, Emmanuel Osadebe thundered the ball against the Bury crossbar and bounced back down off the line. Wright, hoping to make amends for his earlier opportunity, performed a well-timed volley which was equalled by Williams with the crossbar still shaking from Osadebe’s earlier effort.


Two substitutes at half time for Bury, Zeli Ismail and Danny Mayor came off the bench which showed attacking intent from the Bury manager.


Ismail set off on a counter attack just five minutes into the half, the hosts were caught napping with just three players back defending, but as the ball broke to Pope he was unable to make the most of the opportunity presented to him as he skied the ball over the target.


Bury were unlucky to see their losing position doubled on 65 minutes. Jackson’s attacking runs down the right continued as he delivered a troubling cross into the penalty area as Kay’s half clearance ended up in his own net.


It did not take long for Flitcroft’s men to respond though. Tom Soares broke free down the right wing, and delivered a precise ball to Pope waiting inside the penalty area as he headed in to give the fans behind the net something to shout about.


Gillingham substitute, Joe Quigley, attempted to extend the advantage further in the dying minutes but he could only shoot over.



Attendance: 5324 (189 away fans)


Gillingham starting line-up: Nelson, Jackson, Oshilaja, McDonald (Quigley 85), Knott (Hessenthaler 76), Konchesky, Osadebe, Pask, Byrne, Wright, Emmanuel-Thomas (Donnelly 76)


Unused subs: Hadler, O’Hara, Oldaker, Dickenson


Bury starting line-up: Williams, Jones (Maher 71), Leigh, Kay, Cameron, Mellis, Soares, Danns, Clark (Mayor 45), Pope (Ismail 45), Hope


Unused subs: Rachubka, Etuhu, Dudley, Bedeau

Advertisement block