Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match Report: Blackpool 1 Bury 1

25 March 2016

Danny Mayor's sixth goal of the season claims a point at Blackpool

The Shakers started the first half with an energy about them and created more chances then the home side but none of the chances resulted in a goal. The best chance of the half fell to John O’Sullivan but his shot went just wide.

The deadlock was broken by the home side though as referee Simon Hooper awarded a penalty to the Seasiders which was duly put away by Danny Philliskirk to make it 1-0 but the Shakers were level minutes later after Danny Mayor’s tidy finish.

The full time whistle went with the score at 1-1 with the Shakers being made to rue their missed chances on a day when it could’ve been more.

David Flitcroft started a sunny day off on the seaside by making two changes to his Bury side that drew 2-2 to Shrewsbury last time out at Gigg Lane. Danny Rose replaced Ryan Lowe and John O’Sullivan replaced Joe Riley. Nathan Delfouneso and Peter Clarke were both included in the starting XI to face their former club.

A minute of silence was very well observed before kick off by both sets of fans after the tragic bombings that recently happened in Brussels.

The first chance of the match fell to the Shakers after 2 minutes. Danny Rose chased down a ball that was in the air. Pool defender Tom Aldred cleared it but the ball fell to Nathan Delfouneso whose shot was blocked well.

A minute later the Shakers came close again Danny Mayor had time to curl a shot into the far post but it lacked precision and was saved well by Blackpool keeper Colin Doyle.

The next chance fell on 10 minutes again to the Shakers. Some great football and patient play by Bury led to Craig Jones putting in a good cross into the box the ball subsequently fell to Andrew Tutte who hammered it towards goal but it went just wide.

Blackpool then threatened in what was starting to become an end to end game. A throw in was well worked by the Seasiders and Luke Higham curled in a teasing cross which evaded everybody but Shakers keeper Christ Neal still had work to do as he parried it away from goal.

The Shakers continued to press and this time it was Danny Mayor that came close. Cian Bolger did well to find Mayor on the right side and a great run from the number 10 allowed him to get into the middle of the box but he couldn’t quite poke the ball home and it went over the bar.

A busy first half continued to be dominated by Bury. Some great hold up play by Danny Rose allowed him to bring Nathan Delfouneso into play who slipped in John O’Sullivan who hit a ferocious shot just over the bar.

Blackpool were next to try their luck. A free kick was whipped in and the ball fell at the feet of Danny Philliskirk he shot from a tight angle and Chris Neal used his reflexes to keep the ball out by side footing the ball away from goal.

Blackpool debutant Jacob Blyth was the next to have a go at goal. He picked up the ball from 30 yards out and hit it well over Neals bar. Not troubling the Bury Goal.

Again some good build up play from Bury saw them come close again. Good work from Mayor and Tutte made the angle for John O’Sullivan who drilled the ball into the side netting.

Just before half time Andrew Tutte did well to win a free kick just outside the box. Chris Hussey stepped up to take it and the ball went over the bar not troubling keeper Colin Doyle.

The half time whistle then went at Bloomfield Road with the score at 0-0 with the Shakers dominant but not being able to find a breakthrough. 

Bury started the second half in the same manner of the first, creating chances and coming close to goal. A corner was sent in by Bury and some good movement allowed captain Peter Clarke to head towards goal but it was straight at Doyle.

Blackpool then threatened for the first time in the half and with their best chance of the game. Some neat play between the midfield let Cullen pull the ball back to the edge of the area and David Norris drilled a shot towards goal but it was blocked well by the Bury defence.

Again the Shakers failed to test Doyle from another free kick. The lively John O’Suillivan had caused the Seasiders problems all day long and this was no different he was clipped after a good run. The resulting free kick was hit well by Hussey but straight at the man between the sticks.

Blackpool continued to grow into the game and on the 74th minute the seasiders were awarded a penalty for a foul on Jim Mcalister which was taken and put away by Danny Philliskirk as he sent Chris Neal the wrong way to make it 1-0.

But not soon after Danny Mayor pulled the Shakers level! The Shakers went from defence to attack in a matter of seconds and a brilliant pull back by Ryan Lowe found Danny Mayor on the edge of the box who equalised with a very tidy finish leaving Doyle with no chance.

Pool substitute Bright Osayi-Samuel then used his dribbling skills to open up an angle but his low drive was saved and kept well by Chris Neal.

Bury continued to threaten during the four minutes of injury time but it wasn’t enough as the referee Simon Hooper blew the full-time whistle with the score 1-1. 

Advertisement block