Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Statement: Banning Orders

16 November 2016

Two men who caused disorder during the Bury v Bolton Wanderers match last month have been given football banning orders.

Liam Thomas Jones, (A Bolton Wanderers Fan) was arrested on suspicion of pitch encroachment during the match at Gigg Lane on Monday 24 October 2016.   

On the same date, Curtis James Butler (A Bury FC fan), was arrested on suspicion of using threatening or abusive words or behaviour or disorderly behaviour within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress.   

Both men appeared before Bury Magistrates Court on Friday 11 November 2016 when Jones was given a three-year banning order and Butler was given a 3 year football banning order .   

Chief Inspector Joanne Marshall-Bell, match commander of the Bury v Bolton fixture said: “People are entitled to attend any football match without fear of violence or disorder, regardless of any traditional rivalry that may exist between the clubs.   

“Unfortunately, there can sometimes be a small minority intent on causing trouble and spoiling the experience for genuine fans who are only interested in supporting their team.   

“Liam Jones and Curtis Butler fall into this category and have now received significant banning orders which will stop them attending any matches for a number of years.   

“I hope these orders will reinforce the clear message that GMP and football clubs in our policing area will not tolerate this unacceptable behaviour, and that it will be tackled by officers and dealt with robustly by the courts.   

''This should be a clear message to any football fan considering getting involved in violence or committing offences at football matches that their actions will be dealt with'' 

Both Bury FC and Bolton Wanderers support any police action and not only could they receive a football ban they could receive a club ban.”   

Bury supporter Ryan Gallagher (07/04/1991) was arrested at the same match on suspicion of throwing coins at away fans. He appeared at Bury Magistrates Court on Friday 28 October 2016, when he was given a three-year football banning order.

Advertisement block