Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Bury 1 AFC Wimbledon 2

18 October 2016

Shakers learn a valuable lesson with last minute defeat at Gigg Lane

Shakers learn a valuable lesson with last minute defeat at Gigg Lane

Despite a 27th minute Neil Danns penalty giving the Shakers the lead, visitors AFC Wimbledon struck back some six minutes later when Lyle Taylor rose, unmarked, at the near post to head home an Andy Barcham cross into the Shakers box.


The cruellest of blows came, in stoppage time, when Jonathan Meades sent a looping header, from Reeves corner, into the back of the net to snatch all three points for the Londoners.


On a rain lashed pitch the Shakers got the game underway and it took the Shakers just two minutes to create the first attack on the Dons goal when Danny Mayor, collecting the ball out wide, delivered an excellent cross to the far post that brought two Wimbledon defenders into the action with a sweeping clearance up the field.  Moments later, Tom Soares floated a ball over the top that should have brought the usual race into the corner from Zeli Ismail but, with the greasy surface, he saw the ball skid out of Ismail’s reach and out for a goal kick.


Wimbledon’s first effort of note came on seven minutes when the experienced Darius Charles collected the ball in the middle of the Shakers half before unleashing a drive that looked certain to beat ‘keeper Ben Williams, thankfully though, Shakers skipper Antony Kay got enough on the ball to divert the effort away for a corner.


Shakers ‘keeper Ben Williams brought a ‘heart in the mouth’ moment, on 21 minutes, when, after being awarded a free kick following an offside decision, he slipped whilst taking the free kick resulting in the ball not going very far and straight to a yellow shirted Wimbledon player, however, the Shakers defence were soon onto the problem though and quickly got the ball back under control.


The Shakers took the lead on 27 minutes from the penalty spot.  James Vaughan collected a great through ball from Tom Soares, inside the box, and although he was going away from goal, with Dons defender Paul Robinson in hot pursuit, as he angled his run across the box the defender made the challenge, missing the ball completely but hauling down the Shakers striker for the penalty.  Neil Danns stepped up and stroked home the resulting spot kick into the bottom left hand corner of James Shea’s goal to claim his second goal of the season.


GOAL: Bury 1 AFC Wimbledon 0 (Neil Danns 27 Pen)


Within six minutes though, the visitors were level.  A delightful, curling, cross into the Bury box from Andy Barcham saw Lyle Taylor, unmarked and in plenty of space, heading home the easiest of goals, in a move that later brought concern from manager David Flitcroft as to the amount of space the lad had, in the area, to get the header in the first place.


GOAL: Bury 1 AFC Wimbledon 1 (Lyle Taylor 33)


Bury could have regained the lead moments later though when Zeli Ismail collected the ball in the corner, and in a move that led to a similar goal at Peterborough a few weeks ago, he cut inside his man and fired at goal, but this time could not prevent the ball from flying high over the bar


Half time: Bury 1 AFC Wimbledon 1


The second half began with the visitors applying the early pressure, but it was defender Niall Maher who rose to that threat with several challenges and blocks that would later see him claim the sponsors Man of the Match award, with at least three of his tackles being what could be described as game changing challenges.

Bury’s first effort of the second period came on 53 minutes when Greg Leigh played a clever one-two with Danny Mayor before charging into the corner to receive the ball, he then produced a telling, fizzing, ball across the face of the Wimbledon goal that, unfortunately, nobody in a Bury shirt could get a touch on to divert it towards goal, with the cross eventually drifting away for a goal kick.


With conditions around the area worsening, Danny Mayor produced the best effort of the night by collecting the ball wide and drifting into the middle of the park and, with the gap opening up in front of him, he took a shot on goal from outside of the area that curled agonisingly just over the Dons crossbar.


As the Shakers began to dominate the second half Hallam Hope produced the next chance with a twisting run into the box from a wide angle and, with defenders attempting to get the ball away, Hope was suddenly upended as he got into the area but referee Geoff Eltringham waved away any appeals. It was to prove to be Hope’s last involvement in the match as he was then replaced by recent signing Ishmael Miller who made his home debut for the club.


With ten minutes of the game remaining, the Shakers could have snatched the points with a stunning piece of play from Mayor and Tutte. Mayor charged at goal and flicked the ball at Tutte, who obliged by returning the ball to Mayor and as Mayor reached the edge of the area he fired a ferocious drive at goal that, unfortunately, flew straight at ‘keeper James Shea.


As the game drifted into injury time, the visitors won a corner on their right following good work by former Shakers loanee Dominic Poleon.  Jake Reeve’s delivery into the box was met by the head of Dons left-back Jonathan Meades and he looped the ball over everybody in the area, including Bury ‘keeper Ben Williams and into the back of the Shakers goal to claim all three points for the visitors.


Goal and final score: Bury 1 AFC Wimbledon 2 (Jonathan Meades)


Gate: 2,211 (191)



Advertisement block