Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Peterborough United 3 Bury 1

8 October 2016

Shakers crash to 3-1 defeat at the ABAX Stadium

The Shakers made their way to Cambridgeshire for a noon kick off, with the game being covered live on Sky Sports, and they got off to the best possible start with a goal inside two minutes but then allowed the home side to stamp their dominance on the game resulting in a horrible 3-1 defeat and what appears to be yet another long term injury.


Bury made three changes with James Vaughan, Danny Mayor and Neil Danns all returning to the side.  Tom Soares and Jacob Mellis missed out through suspension whilst Hallam Hope dropped to the bench.


Bury began the game with Zeli Ismail showing the kind of form that Shakers supporters thrive on, twisting and turning defenders, haring down the flank and whipping balls into the box that strikers also thrive on and it was his persistence that led to the second minute goal for the Shakers. 


After getting into the corner and cleverly getting the ball around his man, his initial cross was, at first, cleared but Neil Danns cued Ismail up for a second bite of the cherry but, instead of the cross, Ismail swerved the ball around a defender before striking an angled drive across the face of goal and with Tom Pope lurking on the back post, former Shakers loanee Hayden White beat him to the ball but could only stab it over the line for an early own goal.


GOAL: Peterborough United 0 Bury 1 (Hayden White OG 2)


A Peterborough free kick, on four minutes, brought the first half chance for the home side, delivered by Maddison, Nichols peeled off his man and managed to flick the ball straight into the arms of Ben Williams.  From the Shakers clearance, Ismail fed the ball into the box where James Vaughan had two similar half chances with shots that brought last gasp blocks from the home defenders.


Bury suffered injury woes yet again, on five minutes, when Luke McGee came charging off his line to push away a long ball forward and his collision with Tom Pope brought and early end to the Shakers striker’s afternoon. The manager later revealed that his striker had gone to hospital with a suspected broken rib but Pope, himself, later tweeted that he had suffered two broken ribs and a punctured lung.  Hallam Hope came immediately off the bench to replace the unfortunate Tom Pope.


Peterborough had a good chance to get back into the game on 11 minutes when Maddison collected the ball on the edge of the Bury box and, with only one thing on his mind, he turned and fired a low effort at goal that just flashed wide of Ben Williams’ post.  The Posh had a similar half chance on 14 minutes when a cross into the box found the head of Nichols but, again, his flicked header flew across the goal and out of play.


Peterborough then started to dominate with lots of possession and the ball was being moved across the pitch as they attempted to hold onto the ball for large spells of the game. That possession led to an 18th minute corner that Maddison swung into the box where Hughes rose above the rest to head the ball at goal, but straight into the keeper’s arms.


The Shakers swung the possession their own way on 20 minutes with a shot on goal from Hallam Hope that was deflected out for a corner and the swinging delivery from Ismail fell to Greg Leigh who took a touch before firing a shot at goal that drifted inches wide of the post.


Peterborough gave the Shakers a warning shot across the bows on 31 minutes when Maddison found Hughes on the flank and his whipped ball into the box brought a low diving header from Coulthirst that crashed off the post and out for a Bury goal kick.


Peterborough’s possession finally told when they got back into the game on 38 minutes. A swinging ball into the box from White found Forrester on the edge of the area and his quick one –two with Maddison fell back to Forrester who had the simplest task of sweeping the ball into the back of the net.


GOAL: Peterborough United 1 Bury 1 (Chris Forrester 38)


With minutes of the first half remaining, Shakers ‘keeper Ben Williams broke down a quick Posh attack and quickly released the ball forward with a long throw which set Danny Mayor off down the flank but a challenge on the edge of the box saw the ball pushed out of play and the momentum stopped.


HALF TIME:  Peterborough United 1 Bury 1


With neither side making any changes at the break, Zeli Ismail restarted the game but it was the home side who took just two minutes to stamp their authority on the match and go into the lead. Edwards charged forward with the ball and slipped it into the area for Marcus Maddison who took one touch and then fired a low shot across Williams and into the back of the net.


GOAL: Peterborough United 2 Bury 1 (Marcus Maddison 47)


Bury’s woes increased just four minutes later when a long ball was whipped into the area from the flank. Nichols chased the ball to the touchline as the entire Shakers defence stopped, rooted to the floor and claiming an offside, Nichols calmly brought the ball under his control and fired it across the face of goal, where Kay who, attempting to clear the danger, only succeeded to smash the ball into the back of his own net.


GOAL: Peterborough United 3 Bury 1 (Antony Kay 52 OG)


Bury created another half chance some six minutes later when a long ball, from defence, found Hallam Hope in space. He managed to control the ball and fired at goal but his effort brought a good save from Posh ‘keeper Luke McGee. Neil Danns had a similar chance on the hour but, again, his shot brought another good stop from McGee. It was to be Danns’ last touch of the game as he was quickly replaced by Tom Walker soon after.


The Peterborough defence put in a valiant shift throughout the final 80 minutes of the game and kept key Bury players out of the game with Ismail, Mayor and Vaughan all being restricted in their efforts to get the Shakers back into the match.


Of the chances that Bury did create in the closing stages of the game, perhaps, the best fell to Ismail from a free kick on 88 minutes and although the Shakers winger got the ball around and over the Peterborough wall, ‘keeper McGee was well positioned to claim the ball using both hands.


Referee Harrington brought the Shakers miserable afternoon to a close after five additional minutes and the manager will have a busy week ahead of himself lifting the players for next weekend’s local derby game at Spotland knowing that another yet key player will be on the sidelines for a few weeks following the news of Tom Pope’s injury.


Final Score: Peterborough United 3 Bury 1


Gate: 3,964 (190 Bury fans)


Bury: Williams, Maher, Bryan, Kay, Leigh, Mayor, Etuhu, Danns (Walker 60), Ismail, Pope (Hope 9), Vaughan


Subs not used: Dudley, Burgess, Rachubka, Bedeau


Peterborough United: McGee, White, Tafazolli, Baldwin, Hughes, Maddison (Moncur 73), Da Silva Lopes, Forrester (Chettle 80), Edwards, Nichols (Taylor), Coulthirst


Subs Not Used: Bostwick, Tyler, Oduwa, Moore



Advertisement block