Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wigan Athletic Bury 1

Nick Powell’s second half brace succumbed the Shakers to a disappointing 4-1 defeat at the DW Stadium.

13 August 2017

Two goals in consecutive minutes decided the first half, with the Shakers equalising on the 15 minutes to send the sides in level at the break.

Powell added to his assist in the first half with two important goals in the second, as he sent the Latics on their way to pick up all three points 

Lee Clark made four changes to the line-up following the midweek cup defeat to Sunderland, with Jermaine Beckford, Chris Maguire, Zeli Ismail and new signing Alex Bruce stepping in to start at the DW Stadium. Tom Aldred had taken the captain’s armband due to the injury that Stephen Dawson picked up during the midweek game.

After a slow start to the match, Wigan made the breakthrough on 13 minutes from Powell’s low driven ball across the penalty area, only for Michael Jacobs to slot into the far right corner of the goal.

The Shakers wasted no time, however, before they were back in the game. Bruce, son of former Manchester United player Steve Bruce, managed to beat his man from a corner and find the net with an excellent diving header, less than two minutes after the hosts had taken the lead.

Tom Aldred had a chance of his own moments later from a Maguire corner, this time down the left side, but he skied his first-time volley over the crossbar.

On 24 minutes, the Latics full back Reece James delivered a deep cross from the left wing, which found Powell waiting at the back post, but the latter was powerless to divert the ball goalward.

The home side were at it again four minutes before the break. Nathan Byrne’s low driven cross flashed across the face of goal, luckily, he was unable to find a blue and white shirt, and it was Craig Jones that forced the ball out for a corner kick.

Joe Murphy pulled off an important last gasp save inside his own six yard box as he dropped to the feet of Chey Dunkley to prevent a goal before the half time whistle.

Seven minutes after the break and the home side had regained their one goal advantage from a Lee Evans ball into the 18-yard box, and a close range header from Powell to make it 2-1.

Wigan grew in confidence as the second half went on, and Ivan Toney added to the Shakers’ misery when he was bundled to the ground under the challenge of Aldred on the 64th minute. Powell stepped up to the penalty spot, passing the ball down the centre of the goal to extend the lead, and add his second goal of the game.

The home side dominated from thereon in, and they added another goal after two minutes of added time. Evans picked out the top left corner from 30 yards out to complete the scoring late on.

Next up for the Shakers is a home game against Bristol Rovers as they look to make an amends from the defeat at the DW Stadium.

Attendance: 9,159 (1,163 travelling supporters)

Wigan Athletic starting line-up: Walton, Byrne, Dunkley, Burn, James, Morsy, L. Evans, Jacobs, Powell (Colclough 74), Massey (Gilbey 74), Toney (Grigg 84)

Unused subs: O. Evans, Perkins, Thomas, Hunt

Bury starting line-up: Murphy, Jones, Thompson, Aldred, Leigh, Bruce (Dai 74), Reilly, Ismail (Ajose 67), Bunn, Maguire (Humphrey 74), Beckford

Unused subs: Fasan, Whitmore, Styles, Lowe

Advertisement block