Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match Report: Bury 0 - 1 Norwich City U23's Premier League Cup

5 December 2017

Bury slipped to a 1-0 defeat against Norwich City U23’s in the Premier League Cup at the Energy Check Stadium at Gigg Lane on Monday evening, thanks to a strike from the Canaries’ captain Tristan Abrahams.

The Shakers who were led by Ryan Lowe, created the opening chance of the match as Tsun Dai met a low Chris Humphrey cross, however, his low effort was well saved by Norwich keeper Aston Oxborough down low to his left.

In an evenly matched opening, it was the Canaries who thought they had taken the lead on 17 minutes, as captain Abrahams weaved his way around the Bury defence before he fired over the crossbar.

It was Norwich who created another good opening on 25 minutes when Kieran Higgs skipped past Alex Whitmore, however, he fired his strike over the crossbar when he should have made Scott Moloney in the Shakers’ goal work.

Bury then were inches away from taking the lead as Chris Maguire played a defence-splitting pass into Dai but he failed to control the ball allowing Matt Gill’s side to clear the danger.

On the stroke of the break, it was Norwich who could have taken the lead, as Alan Fleming played in a low cross that bypassed everybody when Abrahams was lurking at the back post.

It was the Shakers who were to make their first change of the match at the break as Tom Aldred was replaced by Saul Shotton.

However, minutes into the second-half it was to be Norwich who took the lead when Todd Cantwell’s cross was only half cleared and the ball fell to the feet of the impressive Abrahams before he lashed the ball into the net past the despairing dive of Moloney.

The Canaries could have doubled their advantage when Devonte Aransibia let fly from range before he saw his powerful effort tipped on to the post by a fantastic save as Moloney leapt cat-like across his goal.

As Gill’s side started to pile on the pressure they came so close to making it two on 70 minutes when Aransibia fired in a cross that saw Pierre Fonkeu latch onto, but he headed the ball wide of the target.

Bury then thought they were level as Rob Harker met a Humphrey cross but he saw his celebrations cut short by the offside flag.

Abrahams was impressing for the visitors and he nearly made it two when he hit a fine low effort from outside the area just wide of the target on 85 minutes.

Bury then had another superb chance to level in the final minute when Joseph Adams fired wide from point-blank range, however, the flag was up anyway to add to the Shakers’ frustration.

However, the Canaries managed to hold on for a crucial three points, to increase their chances of qualifying for the next phase of the Cup from Group C.

Advertisement block