Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

FA Youth Cup - Cheltenham Town 1 - 2 Bury

14 December 2017

The Shakers made it through to the final 32 of the FA Youth Cup for the first time since 1966, with a hard-fought win against Cheltenham Town.

Ryan Kidd's side were going into their Third Round game at the LCI Rail Stadium on the back of two impressive victories in the competition, against league rivals Wigan Athletic and Oldham Athletic.

A victory for the Shakers would see them secure a Fourth Round home tie against Aston Villa or Coventry City.

The first chance of the game fell to Bury. A free kick in the Shakers' own half fell to Joe Adams, who cut inside and curled a good effort from a tight angle, which was deflected narrowly wide for a corner.

Moloney was called into action in the 8th minute when Cheltenham's stand out player George Lloyd was almost in for the home side, but the young keeper read the situation well and raced off his line to clear the ball out to safety.

Just three minutes later, the Shakers were a goal to the good. Wealth Da Silva played a tidy ball into the box finding Rob Harker, who skilfully flicked a header over Lewis Clayton and into the far corner of the net.

Goalscorer Rob Harker was given the opportunity to double his goal tally and the Shakers' lead from the penalty spot after Joe Adams was brought crashing down inside the box. Harker stepped up to the ball and drove a low hard shot to Clayton's right, but it was well saved by the keeper.

Bury had a further chance to double their advantage on the half-hour mark, after being awarded a free-kick in a dangerous position 25-yards out. Both Callum Styles and Callum Hulme hovered over the ball, but it was Hulme who stepped up. It was a great effort, but unfortunately, his effort just clipped the post.

The Robins' had the perfect opportunity to put things on level terms with their best chance of the half falling to George Lloyd, who picked the ball up in his own half, beat two men for pace and cracked a low shot narrowly wide from 25-yards.

It was the Shakers who dominated proceedings in the first-half and they were very nearly rewarded for their hard work, when the ball was in the back of the Robins' net for the second time in the half, as Adams’ shot was parried out falling to the feet of Harker who fired home - but the flag was up for offside.

The Robins were the first to have a real chance in the second-half, as substitute Ben Hailwood found himself in a great position in front of goal, and took the opportunity to fire a fierce effort, but it was denied by the quick reactions of Moloney.

Joe Adams came close for the Shakers in the 54th minute. The youngster had done well to create himself some space inside the crowded box so he could get a shot away, but his chance was just wide of the far post.

On just over the hour mark, the Robins' found themselves back on level terms. A defensive mix up from the Shakers' back line saw Lloyd slide in Brennan, who skipped past Moloney to calmly slot the ball straight into the back of the net.

The Robins’ adulation was short-lived, as moments later the Shakers were back in front. A free-kick by Joe Adams was expertly swung into the crowded box. Callum Styles somehow managed to make a connection within the melee to turn it home. It was a disappointing turn of events for the home side who had been in the ascendancy for most of the second-half.

It was a game which Bury had edged after keeping control with a well-balanced performance, and they were rewarded with a hard-earned 2-1 victory and a place through to the next round to play Aston Villa at the Energy Check Stadium at Gigg Lane.




Moloney, Nyaupembe, Hatton, Styles, Shotton, Cooney (Captain), Adams, Hill, Harker, Hulme, Da Silva (83' Whittaker)

Subs not used:

Skinner, Williams, Ondua, Edwards-Williams


Cheltenham Town

Clayton, Horton (46' Briscoe), Davis, Llewellyn (Captain), Lloyd (79' Clift), Hunt, New, Price (46' Hailwood), Brennan, Handley, Duncan

Subs not used:

Grimshaw, Scott

Advertisement block