Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Portsmouth 1 - 0 Bury

16 December 2017

The Shakers were unable to pick up any points at a packed out Fratton Park...

Chris Lucketti's side was unchanged from the Checkatrade Trophy game against Walsall, which ended 2-1 to Shakers, taking them through to the final 16 of the competition.


Kenny Jackett made one change from the side that won at Charlton the previous week.


Conor Chaplin dropped to the bench, with Kyle Bennett taking his place in a central attacking role against his former club.


Portsmouth's Twitter account had suggested that there had perhaps been too much festive overindulgence on Friday evening, with the atmosphere at Fratton Park feeling flatter than usual, but that didn't seem to effect the home side too much, as they went on to continue their impressive run with Matt Clarke securing the win with a goal in the 62nd minute.


The first real chance of the game fell to the home side in the first minute. An early ball into the box from a Portsmouth free-kick tested Fasan, but he reacted well and managed to grab the ball at the second attempt.


Moments later the Shakers were awarded a free-kick inside the Portsmouth half. Andrew Tutte and Jay O'Shea hovered over the ball, but it was Andrew Tutte who fancied his chances from distance, unleashing a shot which had some real power behind it, but it was a bit too much, sending the ball flying over the bar.


Danny Rose came extremely close in the 14th minute with a stinging 30-yard drive to really test Fasan, but the keeper somehow managed to get a hand on it to tip it behind for a corner.


Portsmouth were unlucky not to take the lead in the first-half after a series of chances, with the best chance falling to Gareth Evans. Jamal Lowe skipped his way into the box and the ball ricocheted kindly for Evans who found himself with just the keeper to beat, but Fasan stayed big to make a good save.


Portsmouth continued to probe the Bury defence in the closing stages of the first-half. Jamal Lowe coming close for Pompey, when his shot took a big deflection and flew just inches past the post.


Half-Time: Portsmouth 0 - Bury 0


It was a positive start to the second-half for the Shakers, as they started the stronger of the two sides. Jay O'Shea whipping in a corner from the right which found the head of Nathan Cameron, but the effort was just over the bar.


Minutes later Portsmouth found themselves in a similar position, but this time the ball found its way into the back of the net after Evans had whipped in a great corner and Clarke came charging in at the far post to head home. 


Bury went on to replace Andrew Tutte for Danny Mayor, who was returning from injury. And then one former Pompey player replaced another, with Michael Smith making way for Chris Maguire.


Maguire was immediately given the opportunity to level when he was brought down by Lowe, only to send his free-kick straight into McGee’s arms.


The last ten minutes of the game had become a little scrappy, but Bury weren't giving up, continuing to try and find a way forward. O'Shea managed to get away down the right after good work at the back by Eoghan O'Connell. O'Shea's ball across was deflected to substitute Danny Mayor but he couldn't get his header on target.


The Shakers did manage to get more men forward in the dying minutes, but unfortunately, they were unable to grab a late equaliser.


Full-Time: Portsmouth 1 – Bury 0



McGee, Thompson, Burgess, Clarke, Haunstrup, O’Keefe (Close 46), Rose, Evans, Bennett (Chaplin 60), Lowe, Pitman (c)

Booked: Bennett, Evans

Subs not used: Bass, Talbot, Donohue, Kennedy, Main


Fasan, Edwards, Cameron (c), O’Connell, Leigh, Ince; Tutte (Mayor 65), Reilly, O’Shea, Smith (Maguire 69), Ajose

Booked: O’Connell

Subs not used: Moloney, Aldred, Williams, Dawson, Laurent

Attendance: 17,549 (176 away fans)



Advertisement block