Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match Report: Walsall 1 - 2 Bury - Checkatrade Trophy

The Shakers made it through to the final 16 of the Checkatrade Trophy with a confident win over League One rivals Walsall.

2 December 2017

A somewhat disappointing start in the competition has quickly been forgotten about impressive wins against Blackburn Rovers at Ewood Park, a strong Stoke City side, and now Walsall.

It was the Shakers who started the game the brighter of the two at the Banks's Stadium, and their efforts were soon rewarded, when Nicky Ajose drilled home into the corner of the goal from the edge of the area after being set-up nicely by Michael Smith.
Walsall's first chance came shortly after in the 12th minute. Erhun Oztumer's cross found Maz Kouhyar, but his shot bounced off Kieron Morris and fell to the feet of the Bury defence who managed to clear the ball to safety.
The Shakers should have doubled their lead in the 26th minute. A long ball by Edwards was well collected by Michael Smith and laid off to Jay O'Shea who fancied his chances from 25-yards, but his effort was deflected for a Bury corner which Irishman took himself. A couple of efforts from Reilly and Smith resulted in another corner which found Cameron, who managed put an effort away but it was kept out.
Just under the half-hour mark, Nicky Ajose had a glorious opportunity to double his tally for the afternoon. Some great work by Smith and Reilly set up Andrew Tutte and his shot from the edge of the area deflected nicely into the path of Ajose – he attempted to slide it to Roberts' left but he managed to get a leg out to block the effort.
The home side ended the half the stronger, with Morris hitting a low drive from a narrow-angle which Leo Fasan stopped with his legs.
The Saddlers got their deserved equaliser in first-half injury time as Kouhyar found Tyler Roberts, who slid a lovely first-time pass through for Oztumer to calmly stroke a left-footed effort past Fasan.
The first real chance of the second-half fell to Bury, with a mistake from Kory Roberts forcing a corner. O'Shea swung the ball in towards the back post and found Cameron, who headed the ball back across the face of goal, just wide of the far post.
Just over an hour into the game, the home side had a great chance to go in front. An unmarked Liam Kinsella whipped the ball into the box from the right, but the midfielder's cross was headed behind for a corner.
After failing to double his tally in the first-half, Nicky Ajose wasted no time when the opportunity came calling in the 64th minute. Reilly picked the ball up in the Bury half and charged forward, eventually playing it through to Tutte who picked out Ajose with a superb ball to the back post, the forward made no mistake and headed home his, and Bury’s second goal of the afternoon.
It could have been 3-1 moments later as Smith’s powerful drive was parried by Liam Roberts and bundled in by Ajose – but the goal was disallowed for offside.
Despite putting Bury under some pressure in the closing stages, the Saddlers were unable to create any real clear-cut chances as the Shakers comfortably held on to gain their second away win in the competition and book themselves a place in the final 16.
Fasan, Leigh (Jordan Williams 46'), Tutte, O'Connell, Ajose (Chris Humphrey 90'), Reilly, Edwards, O'Shea, Cameron, Smith, Ince
Subs not used: Scott Moloney (GK), Chris Maguire, Tom Aldred, Mihai Dobre, Callum Styles
L Roberts, Kinsella, K Roberts, Guthrie, Leahy, Morris, Chambers, Flanagan (Agyei 72’), Kouhyar (Bakayoko 69’), Oztumer, T Roberts.
Subs not used: Gillespie, Donnellan, Devlin, Shorrock, Jackson.
Attendance: 1,065

Advertisement block