Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Charlton Athletic 0 Bury 1

26 February 2017

Shakers claim three points at the Valley to make it four games unbeaten

Lee Clark saw his new side claim a second away win in seven days, to mark his first full week in the role as manager of the Shakers following Ryan Lowe’s 71st goal for the Shakers.
It took no more than three minutes for the Shakers to test the skills of Addicks ‘keeper Declan Rudd.  A sweeping move by the Shakers began with Taylor Moore taking the ball from Stephy Mavididi on the corner of the Bury box.  The challenge saw the ball spin away to young Callum Styles who quickly played the ball to the feet of Jacob Mellis.  A strong run forward from the former Chelsea midfielder saw him spray the ball wide and back to Taylor Moore, now in the opposite corner, and his curling ball into the box brought a firm header clear from Patrick Bauer, but his clearance fell perfectly for Styles some 30 yards out. Styles, fresh from signing his first professional deal, struck the ball firmly on the half volley and watched as his effort zipped through a packed box before stinging the palms of ‘keeper Rudd. 
Mavididi was calling the shots for the Addicks moments later when he ran across the face of the Shakers box, but a challenge from Antony Kay saw the ball pushed away to Mellis. Not to be outdone, Mavididi won the ball back with a robust challenge before shooting on goal from around 25 yards out, but his effort rolled harmlessly out of play to the right of Joe Murphy’s goalpost.
The home side did get the ball into the back of the Bury goal, on 6 minutes, but a quickly raised flag from the assistant referee ruled the effort from Holmes out instantly.
The only goal of the game came on 21 minutes and, again, it was a forceful run forward from Jacob Mellis that created the chance.  A Taylor Moore throw-in was pushed forward by debutant Paul Caddis, whose arrival to the Bury squad was announced shortly before kick-off, but who actually signed for the Shakers on Thursday. His ball forward was half cleared with a challenge on Hallam Hope, but a strong foot from Mellis took the ball into the Charlton box and to the touchline.
The first pass from Mellis, looking for Lowe, found itself back at the feet of Mellis as a rushed clearance was sliced back to the Shakers midfielder. Unbelievably, it came back for a third attempt as the ball could not be cleared by the Addicks defence. Mellis, again, looked for Ryan Lowe and this time he found him unmarked, eight yards out from goal where The Shakers legendary striker had the time to collect the ball with his left foot, switch it on to his right foot, before side footing the ball into the corner of Declan Rudd’s goal to claim the first goal of his third spell at Bury and his 71st goal for the club overall. Lowe’s celebration saw him charge half the length of the pitch and into the Shakers dugout to leap on Chris Brass, a scene that has been repeated on many occasions over the last seven seasons.
GOAL: Charlton Athletic 0 Bury 1 (Lowe 21)
Some ten minutes later and the Addicks came close to collecting a goal for themselves. A curling cross into the Bury box from Jake Forster-Caskey found Lee Novak and his towering header looped over the head of Joe Murphy but crashed back into play off the top of the crossbar before Leon Barnett smashed it away and up the field.
Charlton had another chance just two minutes later when Joe Aribo lofted the ball into the Shakers six-yard area. Ricky Holmes cleverly brought the ball down with one foot and fired at goal from close range with the other foot, but watched on in agony as Joe Murphy, who was no less than three feet away, somehow got something on the ball to divert it back into the six-yard box with a marvellous, reaction, save. Charlton’s Patrick Bauer was the first player to react and somehow fired the ball high into the stand from the edge of the Shakers six-yard box.
Half time: Charlton Athletic 0 Bury 1
Addicks manager Karl Robinson and his assistant – former Bury manager Richie Barker replaced Bauer, who had suffered a blow to the head in a first half clash with Cameron Burgess, with Andrew Crofts for the start of the second half.
The second half began with Bury crafting a move forward in and around the Addicks box. Styles, Caddis and Hallam Hope worked the ball in and around the back four before Leigh curled the ball into the area. The cross though was smashed clear and allowed the home side to counter attack the Shakers with a quick charge up the field. The ball eventually found Mavididi as he raced into the Bury area, but clever defending and a brave block from Cameron Burgess saw the shot deflected out for a corner.
A 48th minute Bury corner, following a clever touch from Ryan Lowe who hit the ball out of play off a defender, saw Mellis deliver the ball to the near post. The first touch was from Charlton’s Ezri Konsa and he could only watch with shock on his face as the ball crashed into the side netting of his own goal.
Bury worked themselves another chance with 55 minutes gone, a clever reverse ball forward from Mellis released Ryan Lowe but with ‘keeper Declan Rudd narrowing the angle, Lowe was unable to find the room for a shot and slipped the ball back to Hallam Hope, but as he worked the ball, along the edge of the box, looking for a shot, a challenge came in from the Addicks defence and they managed to fire the ball back down the field.
With an hour of the game gone, the home side began to apply more and more pressure. A lot of the running was coming from Ricky Holmes down the flank and one such chance was curled into the box where Lee Novak again met the ball with his head, only this time Murphy was, again, equal to the effort and he managed to push the ball out for a corner at the near post.
The combination of Kay, Barnett and Burgess at the heart of the Shakers defence were certainly kept busy for a spell with crosses being peppered into the Bury box, but the Shakers back line dealt with most, if not all, threats that were thrown at them but any that did come through the back three, were well dealt with by Shakers ‘keeper Joe Murphy.
Mavididi had another great chance as he charged across the Shakers box with the ball, with a clever flick of the ball he managed to get a shot away from close range but, again, Shakers Man of the Match Murphy was hand to palm the ball away from the target, allowing Barnett to put his laces through the ball to clear.
A 71st minute free kick, again, brought hope for the home side but, when taken, brought nothing but frustration for the home supporters as Ricky Holmes somehow got his effort over the Bury wall but, with the effort lacking pace, it was simply a case of collecting the ball with both hands for Joe Murphy.
From Murphy’s clearance, the ball fell for Jacob Mellis who, with his first touch, looped the ball forward and wide. Hallam Hope did superbly well to shrug off the challenge of a defender and had the time to position himself for the shot as the ball dropped.  When it did come down, Hope let loose with a venomous volley that ‘keeper Rudd did well to turn away for a Bury corner.
Tony Watt, a second half Addicks substitute, was the next to try his hand at beating Murphy, this time with a curling shot from the corner of the box but, once more, Murphy was more than equal to the effort and managed to palm the ball away to safety with a spectacular, backwards, diving save.
With the home side throwing everything at the Shakers, including pushing centre half Jorge Teixeira upfront, they began to leave gaps at the back and twice George Miller was presented with half chances to hurt the Addicks. The first effort, in the dying minutes of the game, saw him shoot straight at the ‘keeper, whilst the second chance moments before full time saw his shot drift wide of the post.
As the game went deep into extra time, both George Miller and Taylor Moore surged forward with the ball on a counter-attack. Taylor Moore cut into the middle with Miller taking the ball wide and it just needed an inch perfect pass from Miller to find a completely unmarked Moore, but the ball when it did come was a fraction over hit and Moore, sensibly, chased the ball into the corner, where he managed to hold off two Charlton defenders until referee Trevor Kettle blew the final whistle of the game.
Final score:  Charlton Athletic 0 Bury 1
Gate: 14,640 (638)
Bury:  Murphy, Kay, Leigh, Barnett, Moore, Mellis, C. Burgess, Styles, Caddis, Hope (Pope 83), Lowe (Miller, 57)
Subs not used: Lainton, Burgess, Beadling, Mackreth, Pennant
Charlton Athletic: Rudd, Teixeira, Bauer (Crofts 45), Byrne, Page, Aribo, Forster-Caskey (Magennis, 54), Konsa Ngoyo, Holmes, Novak (Watt 78), Mavididi
Subs not used: Botaka, Jay da Silva, Phillips, Jackson                             

Advertisement block