Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Bury 5 Peterborough Utd 1

14 January 2017

James Vaughan hits four goals and Shakers win their first game since September

The Shakers, 20 game, winless run finally came crashing to an end, in some style, at Gigg Lane thanks to James Vaughan’s incredible 27 minute four goal haul, with a fifth added, late on, in the second half by George Miller.

It looked liked the Shakers were in for another long afternoon when, with the game was less than four minutes old, Peterborough stormed into the lead. A Michael Smith throw, from the half way line, was fed across the pitch to find left back Andrew Hughes charging for the ball.  A clash of bodies, with Taylor Moore, saw the ball spin loose and it was Posh’s Gwion Edwards who was first to the loose ball.  Edwards took one touch and curled a shot at goal from around 25 yards.  Shakers ‘keeper Rob Lainton was down quickly to palm the ball away from goal, but watched helpless as Tom Nicholls followed up the shot to drive it home from close range.

GOAL: Bury 0 Peterborough United 1 (Tom Nicholls 4)

The Shakers took just three minutes to respond to the setback, but showed their intent with two good, long range efforts chances from James Vaughan and Hallam Hope, both testing Posh ‘keeper Luke McGee before Vaughan got his name on the scoresheet with just seven minutes gone.  Scott Burgess showed great determination in taking the ball, from Peterborough skipper Chris Forrester, half way inside the Posh half of the field.  With a crisp, measured, pass forward he laid the ball into the path of James Vaughan, whose first touch was to drive the ball across McGee, from the edge of the box, and into the top corner of the goal. Little did we know that, just 26 minutes later, Vaughan would be writing the days football headlines.

GOAL: Bury 1 Peterborough United 1 (James Vaughan 7)

Within a minute of the restart, Gwion Edwards collected the ball from a Michael Smith cross, and after taking the ball across the box, his shot – through the legs of Shakers skipper Antony Kay – could have produced a swift reply, but for the lightning quick reactions of Rob Lainton, who was quickly down to smother the effort.

Lainton was called upon again moments later when Peterborough’s Paul Taylor collected the ball on the half-way line and set off on a marauding run that would lead to another shot on goal, from the edge of the box but another quick reaction from the Shakers ‘keeper saw the ball tipped away but, unlike the first effort, it fell to a white shirt and the ball cleared away from danger.

Scott Burgess collected the ball on 13 minutes and set off on his own marauding run to the touchline, only to be stopped with a challenge from behind that saw the Shakers youngster face down on the Gigg Lane surface. The resulting free kick brought a stunning delivery from Reece Brown whose curling cross was initially headed clear by the Posh defence but the ball fell perfectly for Jacob Mellis, some 30 yards out, and, with the ball dropping perfectly, Mellis hit it full on the volley and brought a stunning fingertip save from McGee, who just about tipped the ball over the bar for a Bury corner.
The inch perfect delivery, from Jacob Mellis, from the corner, found the head of James Vaughan, who crashed his header into the back of the net, from a position just off the penalty spot, to put the Shakers into the lead.

GOAL: Bury 2 Peterborough United 1 (James Vaughan 16)

James Vaughan took another eight minutes to seal his hat-trick, and the Shakers first since Andy Tutte’s treble against Colchester last season, after Tom Pope collected the ball on the far side and set off, into space, in the right hand corner of the Peterborough half of the field. With acres of space to use, and completely unchallenged, Pope had plenty of time to pick his man out and deliver an inch perfect cross to Vaughan. However, Vaughan’s first attempt missed the ball completely, but he still had the time and composure to reposition himself and he passed the ball into the bottom corner of McGee’s net for his third goal inside 15 minutes.

GOAL: Bury 3 Peterborough United 1 (James Vaughan 24)

Unbelievably, Vaughan wasn’t finished yet and, after only three more minutes, a Bury free kick inside their own half was passed forward to Taylor Moore. The on-loan Bristol City defender took the ball wide and forward and, again, delivered an inch perfect cross for Vaughan, who gleefully rammed it home on the half volley for a fourth goal of the afternoon. It was the first time a Shakers player had netted four times, in a single game, since Phil Stant achieved the feat away at Mansfield in October 1995.

GOAL: Bury 4 Peterborough United 1 (James Vaughan 27)

Incredibly, Vaughan could have added a fifth a few minutes later but he flashed a header just wide of the upright following a great cross in from the left flank by Greg Leigh following good work by Scott Burgess. To Peterborough’s relief, half time came soon after with the majority of supporters on their feet applauding the Shakers, and Vaughan in particular, off the pitch after their, and his, first half demolition of the Posh.

Half time: Bury 4 Peterborough United 1

It came as no surprise to anyone in the ground when the Posh, who made three half time substitutions, came out for the second period a full five minutes before the Shakers emerged, and the visitors set about getting back into the game.

Within two minutes of the game restarting, the Shakers came pouring forward again looking to add to their goal tally, this time with Taylor Moore charging down the flank and, like the first half, when the cross came in, it was pinpoint. Hallam Hope, standing just off the back post, simply had to connect with the ball with his head, and though his effort flew in on target, it brought an excellent parry from McGee to prevent a fifth Bury goal by pushing it out for a corner.

The next chance came to Peterborough with a long-range strike from substitute Lee Angol and though the shot seemed to have beaten Lainton, the ball crashed back into play off the crossbar, before Cameron Burgess smashed the ball clear.

James Vaughan, still in the hunt for more goals, got on the end of a 54th minute Hallam Hope cross, but stood with head in hands as his angled drive across the keeper came back into play after hitting the far upright. The resulting rebound fell to Pope, again in plenty of space and his quick pass found Scott Burgess on the edge of the box. The youngster took two touches before curling the ball back at goal, only this time McGee dived, full length, and palmed the ball away from goal and out for a Bury corner.

The woodwork came to the Shakers rescue, again, four minutes later, though this time it was another Posh sub, Marcus Maddison, with a measured shot on goal but his curling effort skidded off the top of the Shakers crossbar and sailed harmlessly out of play for a Bury goal kick.

Another Maddison effort, moments later, went under a diving Rob Lainton and seemed to loop into the back of the net but the impressive Shakers skipper, Antony Kay, was on hand though and smashed the ball clear and away from goal and despite the protests from the Posh players, referee Sebastian Stockbridge was unmoved and allowed play to continue.
Bury then grabbed themselves a fifth goal by collecting the ball on the edge of their own area. It was that man James Vaughan (who else!) who collected the ball, from a loose pass, and quickly delivered a long-range pass, down the right hand flank, for George Miller to chase. The Shakers young substitute, on for Tom Pope, collected the ball after ‘keeper McGee, a long way out of his area, attempted to clear the ball but the clearance hit Miller and rebounded kindly for the youngster. He took the ball to an acute angle and rolled the ball into the back of the empty net, off the post, for the Shakers firth goal of the afternoon.

GOAL: Bury 5 Peterborough United 1 (George Miller 71)

There was still time for Bury to chase more goals and a 77th minute drive, this time from Jacob Mellis brought a good save from ‘keeper Luke McGee, but, again, he failed to hold the ball, which allowed Hallam Hope to claim the rebound but, somehow, McGee managed to get a hand on the ball and diverted it out for a corner.

With time running out for the visitors, Maddison surged forward down the right hand side before playing the ball into the box where Lee Angol came across Kay and got a foot to the ball, diverting it onto the underside of the crossbar and back into play, before Cameron Burgess, once again, cleared the ball up the field.

With the final whistle gone, it only remained for James Vaughan to claim the match ball from the referee, safe in the knowledge that Bury’s 20 game search for a win was, at long last, finally over!

Final score: Bury 5 Peterborough United 1

Bury:  Lainton, Leigh, Kay, Moore (Danns 55), C Burgess, Hope, Burgess, Brown, Mellis (Etuhu, 76), Pope (G Miller 68), Vaughan             

Subs not used: Mackreth, Bedeau, Styles, Williams          

Peterborough: McGee, Bostwick, Hughes, Smith, Tafazolli (Angol 45), Forrester, Da Silva Lopes (Samuelsen 45), Morias, Edwards, Nichols, Taylor (Maddison, 75)

Subs not used: Inman, Tyler, Chettle, Binnom-Williams

Attendance: 2,880 (288 visitors)

Advertisement block