Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Salford City 1 Bury 2

Two Zeli Ismail goals in the second half secured a first pre-season win for the Shakers after going behind at Salford City.

26 July 2017

Ryan Lowe was given his first ‘game in charge’ at Salford City and, with Lee Clark and Alan Thompson sitting across the pitch on a watching brief, Lowe oversaw the Shakers first pre-season victory against a resilient Salford City side.

With several key players left out of the matchday squad for the visit to Moor Lane, but it was the home side that took the game to Bury from the kickoff.  In the new look Moor Lane stadium hosts Salford City launched their first charge on the Shakers goal straight from kick off.  Several sharp passes saw the ball fall at the feet of Redman inside the Shakers box, but his optimistic, overhead, shot at goal saw the ball sail high over the crossbar.
It took the Shakers six minutes to create their first chance, a set piece delivered into the box by Zeli Ismail saw young Ryan Cooney get a stunning flick on the ball to send it goalbound, unfortunately, though straight at the Salford City 'keeper.
Moments later and the Shakers won a throw, deep in the Salford half.  Ismail showed a turn of pace to take the throw quickly and launched it into the box for Callum Styles to run onto. Styles did as asked and got to the ball, though took a very heavy touch to see it spin away for a goal kick.
A bizarre moment came for Bury, on 13 minutes, when Tom Heardman got on the wrong side of his covering defender and managed to slip the ball past him, as he went past though he was dragged from behind and clipped on the heels. The referee immediately pointed to the spot but, after several protests from the Salford City players, the referee consulted his assistant on the touchline and changed his mind, and awarded Bury a free kick on the edge of the box. Chris Maguire, who had the ball on the spot ready for the penalty, took the free kick and curled it expertly over the wall, only for a leaping defender to connect with it to send the ball spinning goalwards but a fine save from the City goalkeeper saw him stretch full length to deflect it out for a Bury corner.
Ryan Cooney had the next chance for Bury, with a rasping drive from outside the area though, again, the effort flew inches wide of the target. Within two minutes, another chance fell for the Shakers, this time to Tom Heardman. A ball over the top was met perfectly on his chest but, as it dropped, he connected with his right foot and fired the shot high over the bar.
Two more chances fell the Shakers way just before the break. A Zeli Ismail shot from distance was deflected out for a Bury corner and that resulting corner saw Chris Maguire zip the ball along the floor to Andy Tutte on the outside of the box, his first-time shot, directed low and hard at goal, once again flew inches wide of the target.
Half time: Salford City 0 - 0 Bury FC
The second half began with the home side raiding down both flanks and showed their intent within three minutes of the restart. A floated ball into the box saw Hogan leap to head the ball at goal, but straight at trialist 'keeper Dean Lyness. Just two minutes later though, a similar move saw Salford take the lead. Chris Humphrey lost possession of the ball halfway inside his own half and the ball was quickly delivered into the box where Phenix rose superbly to head the ball beyond Lyness and into the top corner for a 1-0 lead.
It took Bury just six minutes to get back into the game, Zeli Ismail, now playing on the opposite flank, in his accustomed right wing position, as opposed his first half role on the left, collected the ball on the corner of the box, he took one touch before rifling in a ferocious strike that no 'keeper would stop for the equaliser.
Dean Lyness was called into action, on 65 minutes, to deny a second Salford goal.  An acute angled drive was blasted across the face of goal, with Lyness at full stretch to palm the ball away from danger.
Bury took the lead on 79 minutes and it was again Zeli Ismail who scored. A clever ball into the box was collected by Ismail in the corner, he cut inside his man and fired at goal. Salford’s goalkeeper managed to parry the shot, but the ball spun away back to Ismail. Not wanting to miss a second time, Zeli Ismail calmly got the ball under control be he repeated his first goal and smashed it across the 'keeper into the same corner as his opening goal.
Final Score: Salford City 1 Bury 2

Advertisement block