Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Bury 0 Woking 3

Shakers demolished at home in the FA Cup

14 November 2017

The Shakers were knocked out of the Emirates FA Cup first round at the second attempt as non-league side Woking progressed.

Regan Charles-Cook set the tone of the game on the 30th minute with a poacher’s finish to give the visitors the lead at half time.

There was to be no joy again in the second half for Bury, Inih Effiong and James Philpot extended the lead and helped their side progress to the second round.

Nathan Cameron returned to the starting line-up for the first time since picking up an injury at Charlton Athletic back in September, he replaced Jordan Williams in the heart of the defence.

The Shakers made a bright start to the game with Michael Smith finding space on the edge of the penalty area, his shot beat goalkeeper Nathan Baxter but bounced back off the left-hand post and dribbled to the side of Baxter.

Woking were unafraid to attack and go in search for the opening goal. Kane Ferdinand’s low driven shot was too close for comfort, and almost found the target following a good passing display down the right wing from Matt Young.

On 30 minutes, the visitors broke on the counter attack and managed to take full advantage of the opportunity. Joe Ward drove a low cross across the penalty area and Charles-Cook was on hand to calmly slot the ball past Leo Fasan and break the deadlock.

Seven minutes later, Smith came a whisker away from levelling the score, but his headed attempt bounced over and above off the top of the crossbar.

The away side were content with placing all eleven players behind the ball for the second half, consequently, Ryan Lowe’s team struggled to break them down despite dominating the ball.

Against the run of play, Woking doubled the lead on the 71st minute through Effiong on the left side of the penalty area, he opened his body up and expertly finished past Fasan and into the bottom corner.

The third and final goal for the visitors came on the 86th minute as substitute James Philpot slotted the ball into the goal from inside the penalty area, following some poor defending.

Next up for the Shakers- they welcome Blackburn Rovers this Saturday to the Energy Check Stadium at Gigg Lane.

Attendance: 1,513 (134 travelling supporters)

Bury: Fasan, Leigh, Cameron (Maguire 73), O’Connell, Aldred, Edwards, Ince (Tutte 46), Danns (Reilly 68), O’Shea, Ajose, Smith

Unused subs: Williams, Humphrey, Whitmore, Maloney

Woking: Baxter, Young, Orlu, Wynter, Ralph, Jones, Isaac (Appau 90), Ferdinand, Charles-Cook (Philpot 76), Ward (Saraiva 83), Effiong

Advertisement block