Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Northampton Town 0 Bury 0

The Chris Lucketti era starts with a point and a clean sheet at Sixfields

25 November 2017

The Chris Lucketti era began with one change made to the team that claimed a deserved victory over League leaders Shrewsbury Town on Tuesday evening with Callum Reilly coming into the starting eleven whilst Harry Bunn receives treatment following his early removal from the game on Tuesday. 

The first chance of the game came within the first minute with Northampton's Matt Crooks firing a quick shot from the corner of the box, thankfully straight at Shakers keeper Leo Fasan, who held the ball comfortably.

Michael Smith found himself presented with a half chance on four minutes, a stunning through ball from Dobre saw the Shakers striker chasing for the ball on the edge of the box, though his shot flew high and inches wide of the target whilst under pressure from former Shaker David Buchanan.

Alex Dobre had the next chance for the Shakers, collecting a short pass from Leigh on the left-hand side, his shot on goal brought the Cobblers keeper into a diving save, though his momentum took the ball out of play, thus presenting the Shakers with their first corner of the afternoon.

Leo Fasan had to be alert on 18 minutes when a ball crossed into the Bury box brought a flicked header from Richards inside the six-yard area.  Thankfully Fasan was alert to the chance and happily palmed the ball away to safety.

A 27th minute Bury free kick saw Jay O'Shea float the ball towards the penalty spot from the left-hand side, both Michael Smith and Nathan Cameron attacked the ball, but keeper Ingram rose above both Shakers to punch the ball clear.  With the ball loose, the Cobblers broke quickly before finding Maloney in space, his cross into the box again found an alert Leo Fasan, who punched clear, though his clearance lacked distance, the shot from Richards on the edge of the box was easily dealt with by the Shaker's defence.

A Matt Grimes 40th minute effort just needed a touch in the box for the Cobblers, his driven cross into the Shakers area sailed through both the Bury defence and the home side's attacking options, completely untouched before eventually rolling over the line for a Bury goal kick.

Nathan Cameron collected the first yellow card of the afternoon with a cynical challenge on Grimes, as he changed direction on the ball, Cameron cut down his man to give the home side a free kick around 30 yards from goal.  Grimes took the free kick and delivered a stunning strike that Fasan had to tip over the bar with a fingertip save.  From the resulting corner, Grimes found the head of former Shakers defender Leon Barnett, but his flicked effort rose inches over the crossbar.

The second half was five minutes old before the Shaker's defence and keeper were called into action.  Fasan was first up when a close-range shot from Richards was stopped by the Shaker's custodian, the loose ball was fired back at goal, from an equally close range, only to find the chest of Eoghan O'Connell just standing off the line before his teammates smashed the ball clear away from the Bury area.

Within minutes of the double save, Bury should have taken the lead with O'Shea playing a clever ball to Smith.  His first touch found Ince on the edge of the box, and he instinctively fired at goal, but with his shot rising, keeper Ingram was forced to tip the ball over the bar for a Bury corner.  The corner from O'Shea saw the ball ping-ponging around the box before it fell to Dobre on the penalty shot, his shot took a deflection and rolled away for another Bury corner.

Cobblers keeper Ingram was on hand to deny Rohan Ince again moments later, a clever ball from Jay O'Shea released Ince on the edge of the box, but with keeper Matt Ingram flying off his line, he managed to beat away the shot from Ince and push it away for another Bury corner.

Greg Leigh was the next with a half chance for Bury, this time from another Bury corner, but as the ball dropped to his left foot, he snatched at the shot and sent his effort high over the crossbar from around the penalty spot.

Northampton had the next chance with Chris Long cutting into the middle of the Shakers half, a mistake from Laurent had seen his pass go astray, allowing Long to collect the ball.  He cut inside Ince before unleashing a powerful strike from around 30 yards that flew inches wide of a diving Leo Fasan.

Bury had another half chance on 77 minutes with Mihai Dobre collecting the ball halfway inside the Cobblers half.  With a flash of feet, Dobre checked his run before attempting to get around Buchanan, though his eventual shot, from an acute angle, flew high over the crossbar with Ingram untested.

Michael Smith thought he had scored the opening goal on 80 minutes, a soft looping header over the top Matt Ingram saw the ball heading to an open goal.  Keeper Ingram though somehow managed to scramble to the slowly advancing ball and managed to push the ball away from goal, a half second before it had crossed the line and out for a Bury corner.

With three minutes of injury time played and neither side able to break the other down, referee Carl Boyeson signalled for the end of the game with the Chris Lucketti regime starting with a point and a clean sheet.

Bury:  Leonardo Fasan, Greg Leigh, Eoghan O'Connell, Callum Reilly, Phil Edwards, Josh Laurent, Mihai Dobre (Tutte 89), Jay O'Shea (Williams 77), Nathan Cameron (Captain), Michael Smith, Rohan Ince

Substitutes: Andrew Tutte, Chris Maguire, Nicky Ajose, Jordan Williams, Tom Aldred, Chris Humphrey, Scott Moloney (GK)

Northampton Town: Matt Ingram, Brendan Moloney, Leon Barnett, Ash Taylor, Marc Richards (Captain), David Buchanan, Shaun McWilliams (Bowditch 70), Regan Poole, Matt Grimes, Matt Crooks, Chris Long (Waters 85)

Substitutes: David Cornell, Billy Waters, Sam Foley, Dean Bowditch, George Smith, Ryan McGivern, Lewis McGugan

Gate: 4,870 (230)

Advertisement block