Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Shakers Progress to the Next Stage of the Checkatrade Trophy

8 November 2017

Bury eased to a 3-1 victory over Stoke City U21’s at The Energy Check Stadium at Gigg Lane in the Checkatrade Trophy on Wednesday night.

Bury took the lead inside five minutes as Nicky Ajose lashed the ball into the top corner of the net past Stoke keeper Josef Bursik.

The Potters should have been level on 10 minutes as Oliver Shenton played in Saido Berahino who is still awaiting his first goal for the club, but his heavy touch sailed all the way through to Shakers’ keeper Leonardo Fasan.

Fasan was called into action once again on 16 minutes as he made a terrific low save to his right to keep out a powerful low shot from Berahino.

However, less than a minute later it was two for the Shakers, as Neil Danns whipped in a superb cross for the head of Leigh and he thumped his header into the net

Less than a minute later it was three for the home side as Callum Reilly hit a low shot from range that deflected off Scott Wara and looped over Potters’ keeper Bursik and into the net.

Charlie Adam thought he had Stoke back in the game as he fired a shot from 30 yards out just over the bar as he spotted Shakers keeper Fasan off his line.

Bury were inches away from a fourth on 36 minutes as Bursik made a superb stop from close range to keep out Reilly as he turned Bruno Martins Indi inside out.

Ryan Lowe will have been very pleased with what he saw from his side in the first half and they went close again on 40 minutes as Chris Sang headed over a whipped-in corner from the impressive Reilly.

On the stroke of half-time, Fasan had to be alert once again as he rushed off his line to claim at the feet of Netherlands international Ibrahim Afellay after a defence-splitting pass from Adam.

Bury started the second half on top once again and thought they had a fourth on 56 minutes as Alex Whitmore tried his luck from outside the box but his effort was well kept out by Bursik palming the danger away.

It was all pressure from the Shakers and they could have had a fourth when Sang played in Ajose but his effort was well blocked by Lewis Banks at the heart of the Potters defence.

Berahino should have pulled a goal back for the visitors on 64 minutes as he got on the end of an  Afellay cross, but he sliced his effort wide of the target from point-blank range when he really should have scored.

Stoke were then denied a penalty on 71 minutes as Adam took a tumble in the box following a challenge with Eoghan O’Connell but the referee waved play on to the Scotsman’s frustration.

The Potters, however, did pull a goal back on 75 minutes as Afellay let fly from 25 yards out.  The ball sailed into the net giving Fasan very little chance of saving it.

Stoke could have pulled a goal back in stoppage time as Adam saw a shot deflected behind by Tom Aldred as he shot from range.

Bury also came close in stoppage time with Bursik making a fantastic save to deny Greg Leigh as his low shot was well kept out by the keeper from point-blank range.

The final chance of the game fell to the Shakers when Rob Harker found himself on the end of a fantastic cross from Maguire, but his effort was denied by the bar.

It was a successful night for Lowe and his side who booked their place in the second round draw with a confident and dominant performance.

Advertisement block