Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match Report: Bury 3 -1 Bradford City

The Shakers fought back from an early goal to defeat high-flying Bradford City 3-1 at the Energy Check Stadium at Gigg Lane.

14 October 2017

A well-supported Bradford City side rushed into the lead with an early goal from Charlie Wyke.


It was the Shakers that would go on to win the game with back-to-back goals from Chris Maguire and Jermaine Beckford, before Jay O’Shea completed the scoreline with an 85th minute goal to ease any late pressure.


Shakers’ Manager Lee Clark made two changes to his starting line-up since the last league game two weeks ago, both Neil Danns and Alex Whitmore were replaced by Callum Reilly and Eoghan O’Connell, who made his first league start in a Bury shirt.


The hosts started brightly with a counter-attack through Chris Humphrey down the right flank within the first two minutes, he was strong enough to see off a challenge from the opponents’ defence and delivered a far cross to Chris Maguire, but the latter’s header was comfortably saved by Colin Doyle.


Five minutes later, Maguire’s in-swinging cross from 25 yards out found the head of Michael Smith as he outjumped his marker, although his header was unable to find the target as the ball flew over the crossbar.


In the 9th minute, Wyke sent the visitors into the lead with a neat finish past Leo Fasan after a knock-on from inside the penalty area.


The Shakers were soon back into the game 10 minutes later, after the Bradford defender pulled down Beckford inside the penalty area, Maguire stepped up to the penalty spot and smashed the ball down the left side of the goal.


A minute later, Beckford put the Shakers into the lead. Michael Smith’s looping header inside the box seemed to take an age to drop, when the ball eventually did, it bounced off the right side of the crossbar and it was Beckford that was on hand to punish the stagnant defence, blasting the ball into the back of the net from close range.


Jake Reeves went for glory in the 37th minute in an attempt to get the visitors back into the game, but his shot from distance flew high and wide of Fasan’s goal, and landed with the away supporters behind the goal.


Unfortunately, there was a first-half injury to Humphrey after a good performance from the right winger, he was replaced by summer signing Harry Bunn.


The second-half had taken 15 minutes to kick into life at the Energy Check Stadium at Gigg Lane. Former Shakers’ striker Dominic Poleon dribbled toward the Bury goal, brushing off a couple of defenders, but Fasan made a solid save down low to deny the Bradford attacker.


An unmarked Romain Vincelot should have diverted the ball goalwards from a set-piece inside the Bury half in the 63rd minute, alternatively, he misjudged the incoming ball and headed it into the travelling supporters.


Adam Chicksen’s 77th minute free kick from 25 yards out was struck with real venom, but it was well met by Fasan who pushed the set-piece over his crossbar.


Poleon and Vincelot again came close to bringing Bradford back into the game. Poleon’s shot was deflected wide for a corner, and the resulting corner found the head of Vincelot, but he somehow failed to find the target from six yards out.


Former Bradford City player Greg Leigh broke away into the Bradford penalty area and threatened Doyle’s goal with a low shot which was saved, the rebound fell to substitute Jay O’Shea who put the game to bed with his first competitive goal for the Shakers.


The win means that the Shakers returned to winning ways in the league ahead of a trip to Blackpool on Tuesday evening.


Attendance: 5,514 (2,923 visiting supporters)


Bury: Fasan, Edwards, Aldred, O’Connell, Humphrey (Bunn 43), Leigh, Reilly, Laurent, Maguire (O’Shea 57), Smith, Beckford


Unused subs: Moloney, Tutte, Dobre, Ince, Shotton


Bradford City: Doyle, Hendrie (Taylor 86), Knight-Percival, Kilgallon, Chicksen, Gilliead, Vincelot, Reeves (Patrick 78), Law, Poleon, Wyke


Unused subs: Raeder, Dieng, Field, Jones, Hanson

Advertisement block