Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Blackpool 2 Bury 1

17 October 2017

Bury slipped to a narrow defeat at Bloomfield Road despite having the better of much of the match.
The Shakers fell behind on 38 minutes when Kelvin Mellor’s close-range finish rounded off a swift Blackpool counter-attack.
However, Jermaine Beckford drew the Shakers level after the break with his eighth league goal of the season.
Despite having the better of the second half, it was not to be for Lee Clark’s men as Curtis Tilt header wrapped up all three points for the Tangerines.
The Shakers travelled to Bloomfield Road seeking to build on an impressive victory over Bradford City at the weekend and launch a surge up the League One table.
But, it was Blackpool who conjured up the first opportunity of the evening on four minutes when Sean Longstaff’s shot was saved by Leo Fasan low to his right.
The Shakers then responded with their first shot on target three minutes later when Chris Maguire’s rasping 30-yard drive was parried away by Blackpool shotstopper Ryan Allsop.
Bury came close to going in front on 19 minutes as Maguire’s dipping free-kick grazed the top of the crossbar with Allsop stranded.
Blackpool started to gain a foothold in the game and went close when former Bury loanee Nathan Delfouneso found enough space to turn and curl a shot from 18 yards, but it was beaten away by Fasan.
Gary Bowyer’s men continued to push forward and, on 38 minutes, Delfouneso broke free down the Blackpool right and found Longstaff, who squared the ball for Mellor to tap into an empty net from close range.
The Shakers appeared determined to snatch an equaliser after the break, and with just two minutes of the second half on the clock, Callum Reilly’s goal-bound drive was deflected over the bar by a Blackpool defender.
Bury continued to push, and following a period of sustained pressure, Harry Bunn’s low cross made its way through a packed penalty area to Beckford, and the forward made no mistake, stabbing the ball beyond Allsop before racing off in celebration towards the travelling support behind the goal.
The Shakers should have been ahead on 66 minutes when the ball fell fortuitously at the feet of Josh Laurent, however, the midfielder appeared to be taken by surprise and blazed his shot over the bar from 12 yards.
And they were made to pay for their wastefulness on 73 minutes when Tilt leapt unmarked to head home an Andy Taylor corner from close range.
Bury fans' frustrations were summed up in added time when thought they had rescued a point, but Jay O’Shea’s shot hit the outside of the post.
The Shakers are next in action again on Saturday when they visit Southend United.
Attendance: 3,437
Bury starting line-up: Fasan, Bunn (Williams, 78), Edwards, Leigh, Aldred (Dobre, 78), O’Connell, Reilly, Laurent, Maguire (O’Shea, 70), Smith, Beckford
Unused subs: Maloney, Shotton, Ince, Tutte
Blackpool starting line-up: Allsop, Turton, Taylor, Robertson, Tilt, D’Almeida, Spearing (Cooke, 70), Mellor, Longstaff (Solomon-Otabor, 70), Vassell (Quigley, 82), Delfouneso
Unused subs: Williams, Aimson, Philliskirk, Clayton
Referee: Anthony Backhouse

Advertisement block