Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Bury 0 Doncaster Rovers 1

28 October 2017

The Shakers were defeated 1-0 by Doncaster Rovers at the Energy Check Stadium at Gigg Lane.

On a wet afternoon in Bury, a red card to Eoghan O’Connell at the end of the first half left the Shakers in a difficult position for the remaining 45 minutes. 

Substitute Ben Whiteman’s 78th minute goal was enough to give the visitors all three points.

Despite the midweek defeat at Oldham, Lee Clark remained loyal to his outfield players with just one change to the starting eleven, Leo Fasan was replaced in between the sticks by Joe Murphy.

Four minutes into the game, Jermaine Beckford very nearly capitalised on a through ball into the final third of the field. Beckford was presented with a half chance to the side of goal, but his shot skidded across the six yard box and narrowly missed the far right hand post.

Both sides struggled with the wet conditions, and as a result there was few chances created in the opening 45 minutes.

A scramble inside the Doncaster penalty area on the 26th minute fell to Rohan Ince, after a poor clearance from the visiting defence. Although, Ince’s first-time strike was well saved by former Shakers’ man Ian Lawlor, who saved high to his right-hand side.

Beckford broke free again on the 35th minute after a direct ball forward following a promising attack from the visitors. Beckford shifted the ball onto his left foot, his shot was saved by Lawlor and the loose ball was cleared in a hurry by the visiting defence.

Michael Smith received a knock from a Doncaster throw-in, he did, however, recover and managed to continue. It was not long until another striker in a white shirt was down injured, this time it was Beckford, but he was unable to recover and subsequently replaced by Chris Maguire from the substitutes bench.

On the third minute of additional time in the first half, Eoghan O’Connell was left under plenty of pressure by John Marquis, who broke through on goal. As the centre back attempted to gain back possession, he fumbled Rovers’ striker to the Gigg Lane turf and was shown a red card as a result of the foul.

With Bury down to ten men for the second half, Clark decided to make a change to a 4-4-1 formation.

Despite the one man disadvantage, the Shakers went in search for the first goal of the game. Jay O’Shea went solo with an attacking run down the middle of the pitch, but he was shut out by four defenders as he made his way into the penalty area.

The away side intensified their attacking style of play with two substitutions half way through the second half. Both Andrew Williams and Whiteman replaced defenders Mathieu Baudry and Craig Alcock.

On 75 minutes, the visitors missed a glaring opportunity from inside the six yard box. Tommy Rowe’s whipped in cross found Marquis at the back post, the latter headed down to Williams who somehow missed the target completely.

Three minutes later and, the away side broke the deadlock through substitute Whiteman. A corner for Rovers was not cleared, and the ball bounced to Whiteman who fired the ball out of the reach of Murphy and into the back of the net.

Williams could have added insult to injury when he sprinted clear of the defence, but his finish let the striker down, as his chip nestled onto the top of Murphy’s net with minutes left on the clock.

Next up for the Shakers is a trip to non-league side Woking on Sunday 5th November for the FA Cup first round.

Attendance: 3,079 (454 travelling supporters)

Bury: Murphy, Humphrey, Edwards, O’Connell, Aldred, Leigh, Reilly, Ince (Tutte 60), O’Shea (Mayor 82), Smith, Beckford (Maguire 37)

Unused subs: Williams, Laurent, Dobre, Fasan

Doncaster Rovers: Lawlor, Alcock (Whiteman 60), Wright, Butler, Baudry (Williams 67), Toffolo, Houghton, Kongolo, Coppinger, Marquis, Rowe

Unused subs: Mason, Marosi, Garrett, Beestin, Ben Khemis

Advertisement block