Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Charlton Athletic 1 Bury 1

23 September 2017

October 1966 was the last time Bury lost a game at the Valley, a 4-0 defeat back in the same year England won the World Cup.

Bury showed their intent as early as the first minute when Jason Pearce thought he had more time on the ball, facing his own goal, he suddenly found Jermaine Beckford bearing down on him for the challenge, and looked even more stunned when Beckford actually took the ball from him.  The Bury skippers charge at goal though didn’t last for long as he attempted to turn around another defender, only to slip and lose possession.

A great chance for the Shakers came on 5 minutes with another raid down the flank from Greg Leigh, his ball into the box looked to be heading for Michael Smith, but the former Portsmouth striker could not put his power through the ball and only managed to pass the ball to keeper Ben Amos.

Bury took the lead on nine minutes as Josh Laurent won the ball in the middle of the park, he quickly charged forward and released a curling pass forward towards Beckford.  The Shakers skipper collected the ball and with a quick shuffle of his feet, took the ball towards the Charlton box.  With his covering defender expecting a pass, Beckford suddenly placed the ball into the top corner of the goal with an exquisite shot to put Bury in front.

Bury suffered a body blow on 16 minutes as Nathan Cameron came out of a challenge still on the floor, a quick signal to the dugout saw the obvious disappointment on his face as it quickly became obvious that his afternoon was over with what Lee Clark later confirmed as a thigh problem.  Alex Whitmore was quickly made ready and replaced Cameron, with the Shakers defender receiving a standing ovation from the 335 Bury fans.

Greg Leigh began to show some authority down the flank and was soon peppering the Charlton area with crosses of a telling nature.  One such cross came on 22 minutes when he managed to ride two challenges in the corner before firing the ball across the face of goal from a very acute angle.

Charlton created a chance on 26 minutes Karlan Ahearne-Grant suddenly burst through the Shaker's backline.  With Joe Murphy racing off his line to meet the ball, Ahearne-Grant attempted to lob the ball into the back of the net, but could only find the roof of the net with his effort.

Another chance came to Josh Magennis three minutes later when he managed to turn and shoot at goal from the edge of the box, but keeper Murphy was more than equal to the effort and pulled off a smart save to deny the former Kilmarnock striker.

With the home side applying the pressure as they attempted to get back into the game, the next chance came to Tariqe Fosu on 33 minutes.  The tricky player ran the ball across the face of the area before unleashing a ferocious drive at goal but didn’t account for the bravery of Tom Aldred as he threw his body on the line with a stunning block on the chest to deny the effort.

Chris Maguire was the next to test Addicks keeper Amos, this time with a well-placed shot that Amos was forced to dive at and tip around the post for a Bury corner, but the home side got back into the game three minutes later.

A deep cross into the Bury box found the head of Josh Magennis, who rose to simply head the ball down and across Murphy to find the bottom corner of the net.

Charlton began the second period the brighter of the two sides but resorted to long-range drives.  Two shots from Fosu and Forester-Caskey both saw their efforts sail harmlessly over the crossbar within minutes of the restart.

Neil Danns almost made the perfect return to the side on the hour when a looping shot on goal, whilst he was almost falling backwards, brought a stunning save from Amos as he stretched to tip the ball over the bar.

Joe Murphy again proved his worth as he kept the scoreline down with a great save to deny Magennis on 69 minutes, this time he seemed to change direction mid-air to get a hand to a header that seemed certain to find the bottom corner of this net.

Murphy was at it again on 76 minutes and from the same player.  From a corner, Magennis rose on the six-yard line to head the ball at goal with a powerful effort.  Murphy seemed unbeatable as he beat the ball away with his hands from the point-blank header.

Alex Dobre had the next chance for Bury with a fine run and shot on goal, his initial effort was blocked but with the ball running loose, Josh Laurent followed up with a long-range drive that flew high over the bar.

Finally, and with both sides unable to break each other down, the game finished with a very creditable 1-1 draw for the Shakers.

Charlton Athletic: B Amos, C Solly, P Bauer, Jay da Silva, J Pearce, T Fosu-Henry, B Clarke (J Dodoo, 78), K Ahearne-Grant (E Konsa Ngoyo, 64), A Kashi, J Forster-Caskey, J Magennis

Subs not used: M Sarr, R Hackett-Fairchild, J Jackson, J Aribo, D Phillips        

Bury: J Murphy, P Edwards, T Aldred, N Cameron (A Whitmore, 18), G Leigh, C Humphrey, C Maguire (M Dobre, 67), J Laurent, C Reilly (N Danns, 55), M Smith, J Beckford

Subs not used: L Fasan, R Lowe, J Williams, H Bunn

Gate:  9,895 (335 travelling Bury fans)

Advertisement block