Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Lincoln City 2-1 Bury

21 August 2018

Ten-man Bury fell to a 2-1 defeat against Lincoln City at the Sincil Bank Stadium. The Shakers led through an Eoghan O’Connell strike just after the half-hour mark following a Neil Danns corner. However, the hosts turned the game on its head as Aimson received his marching orders after receiving a second yellow for a handball and giving a penalty away, which Akinde converted. The comeback was completed as Frecklington found himself with an open goal from 12-yards out, as the ball deflected to him after an Adam Thompson challenge.

Ryan Lowe named two changes to his starting side that salvaged a late point against Forest Green Rovers at the weekend, as Stephen Dawson and Chris Dagnall came in for Jay O’Shea and Dom Telford, who had to settle for a place on the bench.

The first incident of the game came in the opening minute, when Will Aimson’s late challenge on Harry Toffolo led to his first yellow card of the game, despite plenty of calls for red from the Lincoln fans and players.

Stephen Dawson was the first to go close for Ryan Lowe’s side. The midfielder found himself in plenty of space on the edge of the area after a deflected Danny Mayor strike. Stephen Dawson pulled the trigger and almost found the far corner of Grant Smith’s goal from around 25-yards.

Lincoln weren’t far away from breaking the deadlock 10 minutes into the fixture. Matt Green looked to be in behind the Bury defence just 12-yards out, however, a fantastic last-ditch challenge from Will Aimson prevented any real threat on Murphy’s goal.

Gold Omotayo came close to his first away goal for the club early in the first-half. After some smart link-up play with Chris Dagnall, Omotayo pushed towards goal. He opened the angle upon his left after a swift stepover, but his fierce strike was just over the bar at Smith’s near post.

Both sides weren’t shy in coming forward during the opening quarter; however, both defences were coming out on top, as both ‘keepers had little to do in the opening exchanges.

It didn’t stay like that for long, as Joe Murphy was called into action 25 minutes in. First from Toffolo, who struck a free-kick extremely well from about 25-yards, forcing Murphy to tip the ball over for a corner. The resulting corner led to a chance for former Burnley captain Jason Shackell; thankfully, Murphy was equal to the effort as he again tipped the ball over the woodwork.

Another game, and another back-line for Danny Mayor to cause problems for. Cutting onto his right from the left wing, his strike from 25-yards looked destined to find the top corner, but a Michael Bostwick head was in his way.

The resulting corner had to be cleared off the line, and then a Nicky Adams strike won another corner for the visitors. This time, there was no-one on the line to stop the ball for Lincoln as Eoghan O’Connell got his second goal for the club, and his second in the last seven days following his header at Nottingham Forest last Tuesday. The ball fell to the defender in the middle of the area, and the Irishman was there to jab the ball into the top corner, giving his side the lead just after the half-hour mark.

Bury dealt comfortably with any reply Lincoln looked to have, as they continued to put the pressure on the hosts back line, looking to double their advantage before the break, but to no avail.

HALF-TIME: Lincoln City 0-1 Bury

The half-time break didn’t stop the action as both sides came out, continuing to have a good go at one another. First, Lincoln fashioned a half-chance through some good work from Tom Pett, but a resulting header was far too weak to cause any problems for Murphy between the Bury sticks.

Nicky Adams then had a chance to test Grant Smith in the Lincoln goal. He was found thanks to a long ball cross-field from Chris Stokes, but Adams’ volley was sliced wide of the mark.

Not long after, the Shakers should have doubled their lead at the Sincil Bank Stadium. Neil Danns found himself at the by-line after a driving run into the box, his cut back took Smith out of the game as he found Gold Omotayo. Unfortunately, the forward couldn’t force an effort through a sea of bodies as Neal Eardley got the vital block for the hosts.

Lincoln replied well to the early Shakers pressure in the second-half. Harry Anderson picked Matt Rhead out in the middle; Murphy wasn’t troubled by the forward’s effort as it was tamely headed into his hands.

Omotayo was making his presence known to the Lincoln defenders as he had another golden opportunity to double the Shakers’ lead and his own tally for the season. Chris Dagnall did superbly down the right-hand side, his low driven cross found the Swiss forward, but he couldn’t get his effort beyond Grant Smith, as the ‘keeper got down to his right well to keep out the Bury forward.

Lincoln again responded with a chance of their own in a real end-to-end game. Eardley picked Pett out at the near post, but a smart save from Murphy kept the ball out at his near post, tipping the ball behind for a corner.

The resulting corner eventually found a way to McCartan on the edge of the area, but his low strike was deflected just past Murphy’s right-hand post.

Lincoln managed to convert their second-half pressure with just 15 minutes remaining as substitute John Akinde found the back of the net from 12-yards. The referee Sebastian Stocksbridge pointed to the spot and showed Will Aimson a second yellow card, sending him for an early bath, after he deemed the defender to handle the ball while attempting a block.

The Shakers struggled to deal with the Lincoln attack as they completed the comeback with less than 10 minutes remaining thanks to a goal from Lee Frecklington. Bruno Andrade rounded Shakers ‘keeper Joe Murphy, before being thwarted by the Bury defence, fortunately for the hosts, the ball fell to Frecklington, who kept his cool to put his side ahead.

Ryan Lowe’s men wouldn’t give up without a fight, despite being a player and goal down, they still came forward in search of an equaliser. O’Shea cut inside from the left-hand side, before letting a shot off. However, Smith was equal to it low to his right.

The hosts almost let their lead slip with a near own goal. Neil Danns found Nicky Adams on the right; the latter whipped the ball into the box, it was met by a Lincoln head as it almost flew into the top corner.

A valiant performance from the Shakers, as a late turn around from Lincoln City, saw them snatch all three points from Ryan Lowe’s men, as they continued their impressive start to the season, taking 10 points from a possible 12.

FULL-TIME: Lincoln City 2-1 Bury

Lincoln City: Smith, Shackell, Pett, Frecklington, Rhead (Akinde 58’), Green (McCartan 58’), Andrade, Chapman (Anderson 45’), Toffolo, Bostwick, Eardley

Unused Subs: Slocombe, O’Connor, Wharton, Wilson

Bury: Murphy, Stokes, Aimson, Thompson, O’Connell, Adams, Dawson, Mayor (O’Shea 62’), Dagnall (Moore 79’), Omotayo (McFadzean 76’), Danns

Unused Subs: Hudson, Telford, Barjonas, Styles

Attendance: 8016 with 190 travelling Shakers. Thanks once again for your tremendous travelling support!

Advertisement block