Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Nottingham Forest 1-1 Bury (10-9 Penalties)

14 August 2018

Ryan Lowe’s side suffered a cruel defeat after a hard-fought performance at the City Ground.

Eoghan O’Connell’s 2nd minute opener looked to be enough to see the Shakers progress into the second round of the Carabao Cup, however his goal was cancelled out at the opposite end of the game as Cash converted from a tight angle with seconds remaining. Nottingham Forest then went on to win 10-9 on penalties in front of the brilliant travelling Shakers.

It took 120 seconds for the deadlock to be broken, thanks to the head of Eoghan O’Connell. Callum McFadzean won a free kick in a dangerous position for the Shakers down the left-hand-side. Jay O’Shea whipped a good ball in, and Eoghan O’Connell ensured his side got off to the perfect start, with his first-ever goal for the club. It was a belated birthday present for the defender, who turned 23 yesterday.

Nottingham Forest looked to reply instantly. Goncalves was the creator as he got down the left and found Cash in the middle. Cash's shot was blocked well by Thompson as the follow-up header from Hefele was over the bar.

There was no respite for the Shakers as Forest continued to press for an equaliser. Daryl Murphy looked to capitalise on a defensive error, however some excellent work from O’Connell, and especially Thompson, managed to crowd the Forest forward out.

The Shakers were still getting forward themselves. Stephen Dawson found Telford as he broke past the Forest back line, unfortunately, he couldn’t get his effort away properly and Styles’ follow up was deflected away.

Cash was continuing to go close for the hosts. This time he found himself on the end of an inswinging delivery from Diogo Goncalves, however Cash couldn’t direct his downwards header on target, as the Shakers remained a goal to the good.

The situation improved for the Shakers just after the half-hour mark. Dom Telford burst beyond the Forest defence, he looked certain to make it 2-0 to Bury, however Jordan Smith intervened, taking the forward down. Being the last man, referee Scott Duncan had no other option apart from to give the ‘keeper his marching orders.

The Forest faithful were getting increasingly frustrated as the half progressed, with the back five of the Shakers standing firm with excellent defending from all, including Gold Omotayo from set pieces.

Ryan Lowe’s side almost managed to break away as the half was coming to an end. O’Connell brought the ball forward superbly before finding Telford. Stephen Dawson was busting a gut to keep up with Dom Telford as he found himself in plenty of space approaching the box, with no-one ahead. Unfortunately, the Forest defence were on hand, preventing Telford from finding Stephen Dawson.


The Shakers continued to threaten after the break. Byram sent a low cross into the box and the Shakers managed to clear the ball through Miller down the right, he found Omotayo who managed to get in down the right-hand-side, unfortunately he was unable to find strike partner Telford who was steaming into the middle.

Nottingham Forest were continuing to try and force themselves back onto level terms, however the desire from the Shakers was still managing to keep them at bay, as Stephen Dawson was the next Bury player to put his body on the line for a vital defensive block.

Bury were beginning to push home the man advantage, with Styles, O’Shea and McFadzean going close.  However, neither managed to cause too many problems for Steele as just the one goal was still separating the sides as we entered the final 10 minutes.

Both sides were attacking, as a real end-to-end game began to ramp up the tension and excitement. The defences were coming out on top though, as both ‘keepers had little to do.

It took Nottingham Forest 88 minutes to test Joe Murphy properly. Osborn struck a fierce free-kick from about 25 yards, but the Shakers shot-stopper was on hand to do just that as he palmed the ball away to safety, allowing Miller to clear the ball and give the ink blue of Bury some breathing space.

Forest weren’t going down without a fight, they found the equaliser with less than 60 seconds of stoppage time remaining. Cash put the ball in the box from a corner, he then managed to get himself in position to strike the ball home from 10-yards out as the ball found its way back to him.

Forest also hit the post through Hefele late on, as both sides had to settle for the lottery of penalties after a dramatic 90 minutes at the City Ground.


Lolley (NFFC): Scored (1-0)

O’Connell (BFC): Scored (1-1)

Osborn (NFFC): Scored (2-1)

O’Shea (BFC): Scored (2-2)

Dawson (NFFC): Scored (3-2)

Bunn (BFC): Scored (3-3)

Murphy (NFFC): Scored (4-3)

Omotayo (BFC): Scored (4-4)

Watson (NFFC): Scored (5-4)

Stokes (BFC): Scored (5-5)


Cash (NFFC): Missed (5-5)

Miller (BFC): Missed (5-5)

Hefele (NFFC): Scored (6-5)

Moore (BFC): Scored (6-6)

Robinson (NFFC): Scored (7-6)

Thompson (BFC): Scored (7-7)

Byram (NFFC): Scored (8-7)

Dawson (BFC): Scored (8-8)

Steele (NFFC):  Scored (9-8)

Murphy (BFC): Scored (9-9)

Lolley (NFFC): Scored (10-9)

O’Connell (BFC): Missed (10-9)


Nottingham Forest: Smith, Soudani (Steele 34’), Watson, Murphy, Cash, Robinson, Goncalves (Lolley 73’), Dawson, Yates (Osborn 46’), Byram, Hefele

Unused Subs: Figueiredo, Colback, Grabban, Darikwa


Bury: Murphy, Miller, Aimson, Thompson, O’Connell, Dawson, Styles (Moore 81’), Telford (Bunn 63’), McFadzean (Stokes 74’), O’Shea, Omotayo

Unused Subs: Hudson, Joe Adams, Shotton, Nyaupembe

ATTENDANCE: 8172 with 327 travelling Shakers, thank you once again for your continued travelling support!! 

Advertisement block