Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Mansfield Town 0-1 Bury

4 December 2018

Bury advanced to the third round of the Checkatrade Trophy thanks to Dom Telford’s first half strike. Despite being down to 10 men, the visitors always looked in control as they are in the hat for Saturday’s draw.

Ryan Lowe named 15-year-old Femi Seriki amongst the substitutes. Callum McFadzean returned from his suspension in the competition, while fellow defender Phil Edwards missed the game through a suspension of his own.

The Shakers almost took the lead 20 seconds into the tie. Callum Styles slipped a ball behind for Telford who battled his way towards goal. His effort was blocked into the path of Dagnall who saw his follow-up effort cleared off the line.

McFadzean almost had himself on the scoresheet with what appeared to be an attempted cross. The ball was worked over to him through Telford and Styles. The wing-back then saw his cross just over Conrad Logan’s crossbar.

The Shakers looked in rampant form, as they got another chance inside the opening 5 minutes. Rangers loanee Jamie Barjonas slipped Ryan Cooney in on the right. The latter drilled a low cross into the middle, all it needed was a touch from Telford to give his side the lead, however the ball deflected beyond the Bury striker who had to settle for the corner.

Stephen Dawson started a sharp counter attack, winning the ball back after a poor first touch by Bishop. The Irishman charged forward, slipping the ball in to Dagnall who saw his low cross collected by Logan in the Mansfield goal.

A good free-kick into the middle from Barjonas gave Aimson the chance to head his side into the lead. The centre-half couldn’t keep his attempt down as the ball looped over the bar, not troubling the ‘keeper.

It took the hosts over half an hour to register their first attempt. Ryan Cooney cleared the ball over his head, Bishop was quickest to react, side-footing an effort straight at Hudson who was able to catch the ball after parrying the ball into the ground.

After a dominant performance, Bury finally took the lead through Dom Telford in the 35th minute. The striker raced behind after Cooney played him in. He powered an effort at Logan’s near post, sending him the wrong way. He got a leg to the ball, but it wasn’t enough to keep Telford from making it 4 in 4 in the Checkatrade Trophy.

Otis Khan thought he was in behind the Bury defence in first-half stoppage time, however, Callum McFadzean was across superbly to win the ball back for the visitors.  

HALF-TIME: Mansfield Town 0-1 Bury

After being dominated in the first half, the hosts came out for the second period having made all 3 available substitutions.

Mansfield were able to fashion an early half chance in the second half, as Bishop again tried his luck from distance. Hudson was down to his left well, holding the ball to keep Bury’s one goal lead intact.

Ex-Shaker Jacob Mellis then tried his luck from distance, flashing an effort just over the bar as Ryan Lowe’s side continued to frustrate their opposition in the second round of the Checkatrade Trophy.

Dom Telford should have doubled his tally for the evening 63 minutes in. Caolan Lavery threaded the ball through for Telford, who was bearing down on Logan’s goal. The ‘keeper committed as the effort was lifted over him, unfortunately for Telford, the ball was inches wide of the post.  

It took a brilliant interception from Ryan Cooney to prevent what would have been a brilliant opportunity for David Flicroft’s side to draw level. The youngster controlled the ball with his first touch on his knee, before clearing all danger with a brilliant clearance.

Mansfield were looking more threatening than they did in the opening period. Half-time substitute CJ Hamilton raced down on the Bury goal. He flashed a ball across goal but was unable to find a team mate.

Hamilton continued to press the Bury back line, this time getting an early snapshot away. Hudson was yet again equal to the effort, holding down to his right.

Telford was pushing to be the top scorer for the club this season, as his first goal had levelled it at eight all between him and Nicky Maynard. Adams whipped a good ball into the box, allowing Telford to glance a header goalwards. Logan was on hand to keep the ball out as he saved the effort with his feet.

A deflected cross from Adams almost had Logan beaten at the near post, the Mansfield number 1 was just about able to claw the ball behind. 

Some smart link-up play from the Shakers almost had them 2 ahead. Telford spun his man and subsequently played a smart one-two with Gold Omotayo. Unfortunately, Telford couldn’t curl the ball into the top corner as he saw his effort just beyond the upright.

Experienced midfielder Stephen Dawson was given his marching orders on his birthday as his attempted block saw him catch Walker. Referee Robert Lewis took his time before making the decision, but it was one the Bury players and staff felt was harsh.

Despite being reduced to 10-men, the Shakers carried on attacking Mansfield. Telford played Barjonas in for a one-on-one with Conrad Logan. Barjonas took the ball beyond the Mansfield ‘keeper brilliantly, he was brought down by Logan who was booked, with the Shakers winning the penalty.

Caolan Lavery stepped up to take the penalty, looking to double his tally in the competition after his penalty at Rochdale in the opening group game. Unfortunately, his side-footed penalty was kept out by Logan, low to his left.

FULL-TIME: Mansfield Town 0-1 Bury


Mansfield Town: Logan (GK), White, Benning, Preston, Pearce (C) (46’ Elsnik), Bishop, Mellis, Khan (46’ Hamilton), Sweeney, Walker, Rose (46’ Davies)

Unused Subs: Olejnik (GK), Atkinson, Butcher, Graham

Bury: Hudson (GK), Miller, Aimson, Thompson (C) (56’ Lavery), Dawson, Dagnall (75’ Omotayo), Styles, Cooney, Telford, Barjonas, McFadzean (46’ Adams)

Unused Subs: Moloney (GK), Hulme, Nyaupembe, Seriki

Attendance: 1,029 with 27 Shakers making the trip. Thank you for your outstanding support again this evening!!

Advertisement block