Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Bury 2 - AFC Wimbledon 1

6 February 2018

The Shakers maintained their unbeaten run under Ryan Lowe with an excellent 2-1 win at home to AFC Wimbledon.

George Miller poked the ball into the back of the net from a rebound with 18 minutes played to open the scoring, but Phil Edwards’ own goal levelled the scores.

Harry Bunn found the winning goal just before half-time, but the Shakers battled until the very end to seal all three points.

Ryan Lowe opted to make four changes to his side that picked up a point against Blackpool at the weekend. Adam Thompson returned from his loan spell with Bradford City last week and replaced Nathan Cameron in the starting line-up, the former was also joined by Harry Bunn, Josh Laurent, and George Miller.

Bunn started the game brightly with a darting run forward within one minute, finding himself on the end of a through ball, but his volleyed attempt was well saved by George Long and the danger was subsequently cleared.

With 10 minutes played, Miller and Zeli Ismail linked up in the final third of the pitch to cause real danger to the visiting side, but the Wimbledon defence stayed strong as they bravely blocked Ismail’s driven effort at goal.

Danns followed up only moments later with a curling shot from the edge of the penalty area, despite intending to find the top left-hand corner, the ball narrowly flew over the crossbar.

After all the pressure on the visitor’s goal, the Shakers finally found the lead. Danny Mayor’s mesmerising footwork earned himself a penalty after being brought down by Jon Meades just inside the penalty area. Bunn stepped up from the penalty spot, but his shot was well saved by Long, but Miller was immediately on hand to head in the opening goal of the game.

10 minutes later, the away side were back in the match with an equaliser following a deflection on Liam Trotter’s shot from 20 yards out. Edwards was unable to clear Trotter’s shot, unfortunately bundling the ball into his own net after a dominant display from the Shakers in the early exchanges.

What’s more, Joe Pigott came close to punishing the Shakers' defence after beating the offside trap on the 30th minute, but Thompson was quickly onto the scene to slide in, knocking Pigott’s concentration in the process, before he chipped the ball onto the roof of the goal.

Lowe’s men bounced back though on the 43rd minute thanks to some good pressure from Mayor and Miller inside the penalty area before Bunn turned and fired the ball, at the first time of asking, under Long and into the corner of the goal.

Mayor was unwilling to ease off his unstoppable performance in the first half as he went in search for a goal of his own one minute later. He was confident enough to go for goal following a mazy run into the penalty area, but devastatingly he could only find the side netting.

HT: Bury 2 - AFC Wimbledon 1

The second half continued in the same manner as the first, as Greg Leigh mounted pressure on the visitor’s goal after advantage was played by the referee, his low driven shot though was denied by Long in the Wimbledon goal.

Half-time substitute Lyle Taylor came agonisingly close to finding the equaliser with a glancing header on the 71st minute, however, the post stayed strong, and the ball bounced back out for Leigh to clear the danger.

On 74 minutes, Harry Forrester’s inswinging free-kick was inch perfect for Meades to head goalwards but, somehow, he was denied by a fantastic quick reaction save by Connor Ripley as the Bury shot stopper pushed the ball over his crossbar in dramatic fashion.

The Shakers dealt with extreme pressure and long balls into their penalty area for the last 10 minutes of the game, with both teams giving everything in the final stages.

As the fourth official presented six minutes of added time, Peter Clarke managed to clear the ball off the goal line following a direct ball into the box and deflection toward goal.

Next up for the Shakers is a trip to Bradford City this Saturday as they look to continue their unbeaten run.

Attendance: 2,975 (131 travelling supporters)


FT: Bury 2 - AFC Wimbledon 1 

Bury: Ripley, Edwards, Clarke, Thompson, Leigh, Ismail (Hanson 79), Laurent, Danns, Mayor (Tutte 69), Bunn, Miller (Dawson 90+3)

Unused subs: Murphy, Maguire, Styles, Cooney

AFC Wimbledon: Long, Oshilaja, Robinson (Francomb 46), Charles, Meades, Soares (Forrester 63), Abdou, Trotter, McDonald (Taylor 46), Pigott, Barcham

Unused subs: McDonnell, Kaja, Kennedy, Hartigan 

Advertisement block