Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Bury 2 - Gillingham 1

24 February 2018

The Shakers managed to see out a 2-1 win against Gillingham in a thoroughly entertaining game at the Energy Check Stadium at Gigg Lane.

Neil Danns and Harry Bunn’s first-half goals sent the hosts into a 2-0 lead at the break, much to the delight of the home supporters.

Gillingham managed to pull one goal back on the 69th minute through Connor Ogilvie, but it was not enough to level the scores.

Ryan Lowe made two changes to his starting line-up following Monday’s 2-0 defeat at Blackburn Rovers: Rohan Ince and Jay O’Shea replaced Josh Laurent and the injured Danny Mayor in midfield.

After a slow and steady start to the game for both sides, Zeli Ismail came to life with a darting run down the right wing before cutting the ball onto his left foot and firing his shot wide of the left-hand post.

Two minutes later, Danns followed up on Ismail’s effort with one of his own after shifting the ball onto his left foot from 20 yards-out and smashing his shot past Gillingham goalkeeper Tomas Holy to open the scoring.

Bunn went on a surging run after 22 minutes as he continued to threaten the visiting defence, his left-footed shot across goal dragged wide of the target, while George Miller was only inches away from directing the ball into an unguarded goal.

On 25 minutes, the Shakers’ determination proved fruitful again as they extended their lead with a perfected pull-back from Ismail down the right byline, and Bunn was excellently positioned to double the scoreline.

However, Miller was unwilling to accept the 2-0 scoreline as he heaped the pressure on the away side’s goal with a run of his own, weaving between the defenders, before almost squeezing his shot into the left corner of the goal but for the quick reactions of Holy.

Five minutes into the second half, Miller capitalised on a shaky Gillingham defence as he broke free to fire toward goal, but his shot was saved by Holy, and the rebound from Bunn was expertly cleared off the line by Max Ehmer with a vital header off the line.

The visitors counter-attacked down the opposite end moments later as they attacked in numbers, the ball fell to Scott Wagstaff 12 yards out and his shot was wayward as it flew high over the crossbar.

On 69 minutes, Gillingham found themselves a lifeline as substitute Wagstaff delivered a deep cross to the back post where Ogilvie was waiting to head the ball past Connor Ripley and into the back of the net.

With just one goal to separate the two sides, the last 20 minutes was undoubtedly a nervous end to the match.

Mark Byrne went for glory from long range, but his shot was dragged wide of the right-hand post and did little to trouble Ripley in the Bury goal.

In additional time, the visitors piled on the pressure to find the equaliser, including Holy for a last-minute corner, he managed to find himself on the end of the corner, he turned and fired goalward, but his shot was quickly saved by Ripley in the last action of the match.

Attendance: 3,004 (184 travelling supporters)

Bury: Ripley, Leigh, Cameron, Clarke, Edwards, Ince, Danns, Bunn (Thompson 90), O’Shea (Tutte 84), Ismail, Miller (Hanson 88)

Unused subs: Murphy, Maguire, Dawson, Dai


Gillingham: Holy, Ogilvie, Nugent, Zakuani (Wagstaff 46), Ehmer, O’Neill, Hessenthaler, Martin, Byrne, Parker, Eaves (Wilkinson 42)

Unused subs: Hadler, Garmston, List, Nasseri, Moussa

Advertisement block