Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match report: Bury 2 - Fleetwood Town 3

9 January 2018

The Shakers were knocked out of the Checkatrade Trophy at the hands of Fleetwood Town despite an improved performance at the Energy Check Stadium at Gigg Lane.


Uwe Rosler’s side found two early goals in the space of four minutes during the first half, but the Shakers ended their goal drought in the fourth minute of first half injury time through Harry Bunn.


Jordy Hiwula found his second goal of the game on the 50th minute for the visitors, and substitute Tsun Dai could only score a consolation goal five minutes later but it was not enough to force penalties.


Chris Lucketti made eight changes to the team that lost in the league at Plymouth Argyle at the weekend. Only Greg Leigh and new loan signings Connor Ripley and James Hanson kept their place in the starting eleven.


The Shakers started the brighter of the two sides, with Chris Maguire’s dangerously dipping free kick bouncing off Alex Cairns’ right-hand post, before the Fleetwood defence immediately cleared the ball away from any potential danger.


Eoghan O’Connell’s misplaced pass gave the visitors a sight at goal on the 14th minute, Conor Mcaleny was determined to find the opening goal but his shot was well saved by the onrushing Connor Ripley, only for Hiwula to knock in the rebound.


Three minutes later, the visitors punished the Shakers defence again. O’Connell gave away the penalty just inside the 18 yard box, and Fleetwood captain Bobby Grant was on hand to send Ripley the wrong way, and double the lead.


On 35 minutes, Mcaleny attempted an optimistic effort from 20-yards out which flew directly at Ripley, and the Bury stopper collected the ball at the second time of asking.


Callum Reilly came close to pulling one goal back for the Shakers, his shot from 20-yards out clattered the crossbar but the rebound fell awkwardly for James Hanson, who was unable to divert the ball goalwards.


During the five minutes of injury time following an injury that O’Connell picked up, forcing the Shakers centre back to be stretched off, Bunn pulled a goal back for the hosts. Bunn received the ball from Ryan Cooney on the right flank and set off on a mazy run that left holes in the away side’s defence, and ultimately, he confidently finished into the left corner of the goal.


Five minutes into the second half, Hiwula pounced upon another chance in front of goal due to a mistake by Phil Edwards, Hiwula slotted the ball into the bottom corner for his second goal of the game.


The Shakers continued to fight back despite their losing position. Dai made an instant impact as the half time substitute was presented with a great chance in front of goal following a save from Cairns, and the young midfielder delivered as he smashed the ball past Cairns and into the back of the net.


Chris Maguire came the closest to finding an equaliser in the final moments of the game, his right footed effort from 25 yards out cannoned off the woodwork.


Attendance: 698 (65 travelling supporters)


Bury: Ripley, Edwards, O’Connell (Bunn 43), Skarz, Leigh, Reilly, Ince (Lowe 86), Cooney, Ajose, Maguire, Hanson (Dai 46)


Unused subs: Tutte, Dawson, Aldred, Fasan


Fleetwood Town: Cairns, Nirennold, Rodgers, Cargill, Sheron, Maguire, Sowerby (Hunter 80), Biggins, Grant (Schwabl 61), Mcaleny (Nadesan 67), Hiwula


Unused subs: Donohue, Baines, Crellin, Reid

Advertisement block