Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match report: Scunthorpe United 1 - Bury 0

1 January 2018

Unfortunately, it wasn't a happy start to the new year for the Shakers as Charlie Goode dealt them a devastating blow in the 86th minute of the game after a hard-fought performance, scoring a scrappy winner to earn Scunthorpe all three points.

Bury had headed to Scunthorpe hoping to shake off 2017 and start afresh in the new year after a disappointing first half of the season.

Chris Lucketti and Stephen Dawson both made their first returns to Scunthorpe United since leaving Glanford Park for the Shakers and were hoping to return with a bang.

Chris Lucketti made five changes to the side that suffered the 2-0 defeat at home to Fleetwood Town on Saturday with Craig Jones, Eoghan O'Connell, Josh Laurent, Neil Danns, and Harry Bunn coming in for Jay O'Shea, Nathan Cameron, Andrew Tutte, Stephen Dawson and Danny Mayor.

The game was a big occasion for Scunthorpe Manager Graham Alexander, taking charge of the Iron for the 100th time and he would have been hoping his side could continue their good home form, having won 9 games at Glanford Park this season, with only 3 losses – with 2 of those defeats coming at the hands of Blackburn Rovers and Wigan Athletic.

Alexander made two changes from Saturday’s draw at Blackburn Rovers with Levi Sutton and Lee Novak coming in for Hakeeb Adelakun and Tom Hopper.

The home side were the first to go on the attack after some good work in midfield. The ball was played to Kevin van Veen who found himself in a dangerous position on the edge of the box. He floated the ball in but Fasan was quick to react and punched it to safety.

A poor half-clearance from the Shakers found the ball at the feet of former Shaker Duane Holmes. He struck the ball from 25 yards with some power, but it had too much behind it, sending the ball high over the bar.

Scunthorpe were looking lively up front and they went streaming forward again, with van Veen slipping in Townsend on the left but his effort flashed across the post and out for a goal kick.

The Iron continued to dominate the opening 15 minutes of the game with Duane Holmes again finding himself in a position outside of the box to create an opportunity, but his shot lacked composure and flew over the bar.

Bury's first break came in the 18th minute after some good work by Danns who drove the ball forward to release Harry Bunn, whose shot was deflected wide of the Iron goal.

A half-defended through ball found Conor Townsend, who made van Veen the target. The Dutchman picked his spot, but slotted just wide of the post from 20-yards.

Bury's best chance of the half fell to Neil Danns, who collected the ball around 30 yards out and struck a firm shot that had Iron 'keeper Gilks diving and managing to get a palm to the ball to deny the Shakers.

As the half-hour mark approached, the game really started to open up. Danns tried an ambitious effort from inside the box that he couldn't quite connect with - the ball scrambled loose and again fell to Danns who fancied his chances from inside the box for the second time, but it was over the bar.

The Iron came close to taking the lead just before the break as Lee Novak was initially found by Levi Sutton who had his shot blocked before a follow-up cross was headed behind.

The final real chance of the half fell to Callum Reilly who tested Matt Gilks with a long-range effort that stung the fingertips of the 'keeper, but he managed to get a good hold on it.


HT: Scunthorpe United 0 – Bury 0


The opening chance of the half fell to the Shakers. Greg Leigh worked the ball down the left with Josh Laurent and played it into Harry Bunn, but his shot was blocked by former Shaker Cameron Burgess.

Scunthorpe's first chance of the second-half fell to Holmes, who had arguably been their best player which was confirmed on his substitution, with the home fans reacting less than favourably at Alexander's decision replace the striker. He managed to skip away from three players before smashing an effort which looked goalbound, but Fasan did brilliantly to react and parried it over the bar.

On the hour mark, Bunn found himself with another opportunity to put the Shakers in front. He turned well in the middle of the park to find Laurent - a good move with Smith and Danns saw the ball back at the feet of Bunn, who unleashed a shot from the edge of the area but it was straight at Gilks.

Bury had started the half brightly, carrying on the momentum which they had displayed in the final 30 minutes of the first half. On the edge of the box, Smith used his strength to hold off Murray Wallace to turn and fire towards goal, forcing Gilks to dive across to stop the shot.

Bury pushed on in search of the opener and had a series of good chances. Callum Reilly whipped a deep corner into the box and onto the head of Greg Leigh but it was put behind for another corner.

Reilly again stepped up for the second corner, he curled the ball into the crowded box and Smith nodded it across the goalmouth but it was somehow scrambled away to safety.

A well-worked move between Laurent and Smith saw the ball fall at the feet of Captain Phil Edwards who drilled it across Gilks' goal but it was just wide.

The Iron came close in the 79th minute. A good passage of play allowed Townsend to cross to the near post, but Novak’s header was deflected behind for a corner.

The final minutes of the game brought heartbreak for the Shakers, as Charlie Goode broke the deadlock for the home side with what can only be described as a scrappy goal, that followed a few suspicions of offside. A goalmouth scramble from a free-kick saw at least one effort blocked before Goode fired into the net, which the Shakers hadn't deserved to go behind to.

Bury had a chance to get back into the game when they were awarded a free-kick to the left of the Scunthorpe goal after Harry Bunn was pulled down. Bunn whipped the ball into the box into the sea of black and maroon shirts. O'Connell rose from the pack but could only head it over.

The Shakers hadn't made it easy for the side who are currently sitting 4th in the Sky Bet League One table, going toe-to-toe with the home side for much of the game. They will now be looking to build on this extremely encouraging performance at Plymouth Argyle on Saturday.

FT: Scunthorpe United 1 – Bury 0


Scunthorpe United: Matt Gilks (C), Charlie Goode, Cameron Burgess, Murray Wallace (77' Neal Bishop), Duane Holmes (65' Hakeeb Adelakun), Lee Novak, Funso Ojo, Josh Morris, Conor Townsend, Kevin Van Veen (61' Tom Hopper), Levi Sutton.

Unused substitutes: Watson, Madden, Lewis, Church.


Bury: Leo Fasan, Craig Jones (Chris Maguire, 88’), Greg Leigh, Eoghan O’Connell, Callum Reilly, Phil Edwards (c), Tom Aldred, Josh Laurent, Michael Smith, Neil Danns (Stephen Dawson, 78’), Harry Bunn.

Unused substitutes: Moloney, Tutte, Skarz, Dai, O’Shea.


Attendance: 4,270.

Advertisement block