Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Pre-Season Friendly: Bury 0 - 4 Huddersfield Town

10 July 2018

The Shakers kicked off their run of pre-season home games against Premier League side Huddersfield Town.

Ryan Lowe made five changes to the side that faced Rangers at Ibrox Stadium on Friday evening with Joe Murphy, Callum McFadzean, Eoghan O'Connell, Will Aimson and Tsun Dai coming in for Mathew Hudson, Saul Shotton, Adam Thompson, Joe Skarz and Stephen Dawson.

The Shakers could have had an early opener in the 8th minute when Danny Mayor found himself with plenty of space to get a shot away just outside of the box, but his effort had too much behind it sending the ball over Ben Hamer's bar.

The 15th minute brought Town's first chance of the half. Philip Billing was tripped by Eoghan O'Connell 25-yards out. Alex Pritchard stepped up to take the free-kick, but his effort was too high, clipping the roof of the net on the way down.

The Shakers came close when Callum Styles' dangerous ball from a corner found right-back Tom Miller, who tried an ambitious overhead kick which nearly found a way in but it was just over.

20 minutes into the game David Wagner's side went in search of an opener, and they got one. Billing cut out a loose ball in midfield before slipping in Pritchard, with the attacking midfielder drilling a fierce effort past Joe Murphy into the back of the net.

The visitors continued to press with some good work down the left. Tom Ince created space before slipping Jordan Williams into the area, but his effort was smartly saved by Murphy.

On the half-hour mark, Tsun Dai had the opportunity to put things level. Chris Dagnall played a fantastic ball through to the young midfielder who was around 20-yards out, but unfortunately, his a curling effort was over the bar.

 The second-half brought two changes to Ryan Lowe's side with Ryan Cooney and Saul Shotton replacing Eoghan O'Connell and Tom Miller.

For Huddersfield, there was a plethora of changes, with the full eleven from the first-half being replaced.

It was the best possible start to the second-half for Wagner's side, as they doubled their lead in the 48th minute. Rajiv van La Parra was found unmarked on the penalty spot by Chris Loewe, he struck it on the volley and watched it fly into the back of the net off the underside of the bar.

Dagnall came close to pulling one back for Bury as he hit the post after being found by Neil Danns. However, the flag was up on the far side.

It was all systems go for the visitors in the second-half, with a third goal coming in the 59th minute. Jon Goenc Stankovic played a fantastic ball down the left to find Loewe; the left-back's cross was met in front of goal and headed in by Abdelhamid Sabiri.

The second-half brought about several changes for The Shakers, with Mathew Hudson, Adam Thompson, Nicky Adams, Stephen Dawson, Joe Adams, Dougie Nyaupembe, Tom Whelan, Joe Skarz, and Gold Omotayo, all coming on for some game time.

With just ten minutes remaining, the visitors made it four! A superb flowing move starting with goalkeeper Joel Coleman ended with a Collin Quaner cross, finding Matty Daly in front of goal who was left with a tap-in.

As the game was drawing to a close, the Shakers had their best chance of the game. Substitute Joe Adams charged forward with the ball and found Gold Omotayo, who forced his way in behind, but his powerful strike was well kept out by the Terriers ‘keeper.

Full-Time: Bury 0 - 4 Huddersfield Town 

Advertisement block