Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Bury 3-2 Fleetwood Town

8 November 2018

The young Shakers booked their place in the third round of the FA Youth Cup after coming from behind to beat Simon Wiles’ Fleetwood Town side 3-2, thanks to a second-half brace from instrumental midfielder Callum Hulme.

Ryan Kidd kept the same starting eleven that put seven past North Shields last week in the first round, as his side played at the Energy Check Stadium at Gigg Lane for the first time this season.

Fleetwood took the lead just 67 seconds into the fixture. Carl Johnston was played in on the left-hand side of the box, before stroking a first-time finish into Edwards-Williams’ bottom left corner.

Sam O’Halloran looked to capitalise on a defensive mishap by pouncing on a loose ball and releasing a quick shot. His effort was straight at the Bury ‘keeper who wasn’t troubled by the effort.

Fleetwood, who had started on the front foot, looked to double their tally through opening scorer Johnston. He capitalised on a bit of fortune as Allardyce’s challenge on O’Halloran saw the ball deflect to him. However, he fired his effort comfortably over the bar.

The Shakers levelled the scores through a routine straight from the training ground! Callum Hulme floated a beautiful delivery in from a free-kick just inside the attacking half. The ball was headed across goal, taking Fleetwood ‘keeper Scott Pengelly out of the game, as Femi Seriki dived in low to head the ball into an empty net.

Carl Johnston was proving to be the danger man for the visitors. He got himself on the end of a dangerous corner, but he couldn’t get enough on his glancing header as it travelled wide of Edwards-Williams’ goal.

Some incredible creative play from Callum Hulme almost had the Shakers ahead. He weaved in and out of the defenders on the by-line before opening it up and shooting, looking for the far bottom corner. Pengelly did exceptionally well to get his fingertips to the effort, pushing it just beyond the post.

Shayden Morris continued to push for the visitors as he charged at the Bury defence down the right, pulling the trigger on the edge of the box. Despite the power behind the strike, Edwards-Williams was down quick, keeping the scores level.

Ryan Kidd’s side came close to taking the lead just before the half-time whistle. Aaron Skinner got in behind down the right, before cutting the ball back into Callum Hulme whose effort was blocked before it could trouble Pengelly.

HALF-TIME Bury 1-1 Fleetwood Town

Two minutes into the second period, the Shakers had turned it around to take the lead! Callum Hulme was found on the right by skipper Joe Adams, who fired a 20-yard strike straight into the top corner, beating Pengelly all ends up!

Johnston again looked to profit from a slack pass. He found himself on the edge of the box trying to create for the visitors. He put his ball into the danger zone, but he had no support, allowing Bury to clear the ball without any problems.

Femi Seriki was hungry to double his tally, receiving the ball with his back to goal, he spun his defender and got his shot away. Unfortunately, the ‘keeper was equal to the effort, and was aided by a block which took the sting out of the ball.

Johnston was again causing havoc in the attacking half for the visitors. This time driving at the Shakers’ defence, before unleashing a powerful strike from outside the area. He had Edwards-Williams worried who got across well as the effort was into the side netting.

Edwards-Williams was exuding confidence between the sticks for the hosts. Receiving the ball and skinning the charging Sam O’Halloran and playing the ball out to a full-back.

The Shakers extended their lead, making it 3-1 with seven minutes to play. Joe Adams burst into the box, before being sent tumbling down by Goldsborough. Callum Hulme stepped up, sending the ‘keeper the wrong way to double his tally for the evening.

Rydel was brought down in the box, allowing him to grab his side a consolation from the spot in the 90th minute.

FULL-TIME: Bury 3-2 Fleetwood Town

Bury: Edwards-Williams (GK), Skinner, Hatton, Hulme, Allardyce, Shotton, Adams (C), Callum Jones (78’ Copping), Brown, Patrick (89’ Edward Jones), Seriki (88’ Moisin)

Unused Subs: Ondoa, Takpe

Fleetwood Town: Pengelly (GK), Goldsborough, Rydel, Williams (65’ Crowe), Hill (C), Cooke, Morris, Mashigo (59’ Boyle), O’Halloran, Matete, Johnston (84’ Makepeace)

Unused Subs: Clayton, McCaragher

Attendance: 277, thanks for your brilliant support this evening.

Advertisement block