Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Bury 5-0 Dover Athletic

10 November 2018

Ryan Lowe and his side kick started their 2018/19 FA Cup campaign with a dominant 5-0 victory over Dover, who are currently bottom of the National League. Byron Moore bagged a brace as Jay O’Shea and Dominic Telford got on the scoresheet too. Danny Mayor scored the goal of the game though, with a remarkable solo effort.

Tom Miller was back in the starting line up for the first time since September as Ryan Lowe named two changes to the side that beat Macclesfield 4-1 a week ago. Byron Moore was the other player making the starting eleven, while Nicky Adams and Dom Telford missed out.

It was almost a dream start for the Shakers. After keeping the visitors at bay for the opening few minutes, they broke with Danny Mayor carrying the ball forward. He whipped a dangerous delivery into the box and found Tom Miller. The full-back saw his header from close range saved by Walker with brilliant instincts.

It didn’t take the Shakers long to threaten again, this time taking the lead! Callum McFadzean burst down the left-hand-side, driving a ball low into the area; Maynard tried everything he could to get there, but the ball was just too far in front of him. The ball was palmed away by the ‘keeper, but only as far as Jay O’Shea, who fired home from the edge of the box.

The hosts were looking dangerous every time they came forward. Opening scorer Jay O’Shea found Chris Stokes with a brilliant reverse ball, Stokes then played the ball into Moore in the middle, who turned and fired wide from 12-yards.

Neil Danns was dispossessed on the half-way line, allowing the ball to be thread into Effiong. The Dover number 12 then looked to dink the ball beyond Murphy who was rushing off his line. He couldn’t do so, as Murphy blocked the ball, keeping the Shakers’ lead in-tact.

After goal of the season contenders from Nicky Maynard and Neil Danns in recent weeks, Danny Mayor must have wanted to put another contender forward. He picked the ball up on the half-way line, charging forward with pace, precision and power, displaying his superb ball control. He approached the edge of the area, opening his body up to get his shot away and curled an effort into the bottom corner. Mitch Walker in the Dover goal had no chance of keeping that one out!

Danny Mayor continued to show us his ability on the ball, getting in behind on the left this time. He cut the ball back into the middle, taking Walker out of the game. Moore was the target, but a brilliant bit of control saw Diarra intercept the ball and control it in one, subsequently clearing the danger.

Gomis started a counter attack for the visitors after winning the ball back just inside the defensive half. He slipped Allen in down the left, who went on to cut the ball back into Bedsente Gomis who hit the ball from the edge of the area. Murphy was down to the ball quick and wasn’t really troubled by the effort.

Attacker Byron Moore looked to get in on the action, running at the Whites’ defence from the left. A few quick step overs left him with space to curl one into the far bottom corner. Unfortunately for Moore, his effort started too wide of the post, and couldn’t find the far corner as the ball was just wide.

Despite not seeing too much of the ball in the attacking half, Dover were still forcing chances. The ball fell to Gomis, 30-yards from goal following a corner. The visiting player struck a half volley comfortably wide of the target.

Maynard looked to get his name on the scoresheet also as he was played the ball in the box. He turned sharply, creating space and leaving the defender in his wake. He let a fierce strike go, but it dipped just over the bar.

It wasn’t long before the Shakers had another! Danns played the ball into Maynard exquisitely as the latter flicked the ball on. He found Byron Moore who slipped his effort between the legs of Mitch Walker, finding the back of the net to make it 3-0.

It looked like a Nicky Maynard goal was not far away. The forward got on the end of a corner, directing his free header into the ground. It looked destined to be a fourth for the hosts before the half time whistle, but Walker was across brilliantly, diving to catch the ball on the line.

Neil Danns was inches away from making it back-to-back screamers after his stunning goal at Macclesfield. He found himself in plenty of space 30-yards out. His low effort was kept out by Walker’s trailing leg, sending the ball looping up and just past the upright.

HALF-TIME: Bury 3-0 Dover Athletic

McFadzean started off the second half, carrying on from the first, causing numerous problems down the left for the Whites. He manoeuvred his way down the by-line before drilling the ball in. Walker couldn’t keep the ball under control, but thankfully for the visitors, the ball was cleared in time.

13 minutes into the half, Neil Danns had the perfect opportunity to make it 4. The ball was headed down to him by Diarra, Danns was free on the penalty spot, and reacted to capitalise on the mis-timed headed clearance. Unfortunately, Danns couldn’t keep his volley down, clearing the opposition bar.

Ryan Lowe and his side weren’t happy with just the 3 goals this afternoon. Danny Mayor continued to terrorise the opposition defence, cutting into the box and looking for Maynard. The in-form striker dived in to try and turn the ball home, but the defence did just enough to keep the ball out.

Byron Moore doubled his tally for the afternoon, converting the simplest of chances. The ball was on the right with Miller, who delivered a deep cross into the box that deflected through to Moore at the back post. Moore couldn’t miss, as he tapped the ball into an empty net from close range.

Callum Styles was denied by a brilliant save from Walker. The ball was played into the Barnsley loanee who spun away from his man, creating the space to strike the ball inside the area. His effort was powerful, but Walker got strong fists to it to keep the score at 4-0.

Dom Telford wasn’t far from adding a fifth from the bench just before the full-time whistle. He steamed in at the back post to get on the end of a dangerous delivery. Unfortunately, he could only steer the ball over the bar.

It didn’t take Telford long to open his FA Cup account for the season. Working his way across the box from the right, he rifled an effort into the bottom corner, wrong-footing Walker, leaving him helpless as the substitute rounded off a brilliant display from Ryan Lowe’s side.

The Shakers controlled the second half, limiting the visitors to the odd half chance, booking their place in the second round of the FA Cup comfortably.

FULL-TIME: Bury 5-0 Dover Athletic

Bury: Murphy (GK), Miller, Stokes, Aimson, Thompson, Mayor (74’ Joe Adams), Moore (79’ Telford), McFadzean, O’Shea, Danns (C) (68’ Styles), Maynard

Unused Subs: Hudson (GK), Nicky Adams, Dagnall, Barjonas

Dover Athletic: Walker (GK), Passley, Diarra, Lokko, Brundle (C), Allen, Effiong (84’ Wratten), Adebowale (65’ Daniel), Gomis, Lewis (70’ Nortey), Debayo

Unused Subs: Earls (GK), Huckle, Smith

Attendance: 2355 (188 away) thanks for your support this afternoon!

Advertisement block