Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Cambridge United 2-2 Bury

24 November 2018

The Shakers were frustrated by the 10 men of Cambridge, who came back from 2 goals down to level at 2-2. First-half goals from Jay O’Shea and Will Aimson were cancelled out by a goal either side of the break from Paul Lewis and Greg Taylor.

Ryan Lowe named the same starting side that defeated Stevenage 4-0 last weekend, with club captain Neil Danns back on the bench with Joe Adams. The pair were on international duty for Guyana and Wales under 19’s respectively.  

The hosts thought they should have had a penalty after 7 minutes. Reggie Lambe looked to put the ball into the middle from the left but Will Aimson was there to block the ball. Referee Chris Sarginson pointed for the corner, much to the disgust of the Cambridge players and supporters, who felt the Bury skipper used his arm to block the ball.

Byron Moore used his lightning pace to set a counter on the way from Murphy’s ball forward. He ran at the defence before slipping Maynard in, who pulled the ‘keeper out from his line. Maynard pulled the ball back to Nicky Adams who couldn’t chip David Forde, as he clawed the effort away.

Bury number 10 Danny Mayor was already displaying his brilliant tight ball control as he skinned multiple defenders before firing the ball across the box to Callum McFadzean. The wing-back got his effort on goal, but it was blocked before it could trouble Forde.

Cambridge almost took the lead through Paul Lewis. Jevani Brown found Lewis unmarked in the middle. Murphy showed off his cat-like reflexes as he parried the ball away as Lewis’ header from 10 yards couldn’t beat the Shakers’ shot-stopper.

Ryan Lowe’s men took the lead after 24 minutes through Jay O’Shea. The midfielder made it 3 in 2 as he benefited from some brilliant Danny Mayor work! The forward ran at the defence before pushing the ball to O’Shea, who made no mistake in firing home from the edge of the area.

The Shakers were two ahead as Will Aimson completed a Bury two-minute double, adding to O’Shea’s goal. Nicky Adams whipped a ball into the middle from the left and the ball deflected down to Aimson, who made connection with the ball using an outstretched leg, looping the ball over Forde and into the far corner of the net.   

Paul Lewis halved the deficit for the hosts as he reacted quickest in the box. Ibehre’s header was tipped onto the woodwork brilliantly by Murphy, but Lewis was there to jab the ball home, despite the best efforts of the Bury defence to get to the ball first.

After conceding, the Bury players reacted well. Byron Moore played the ball into Jay O’Shea who ran across the defence finding Danny Mayor. Mayor opened the ball up with his first touch, before driving an effort on goal, but Forde did very well to tip the effort round the post low down to his right.

HALF TIME: Cambridge United 1-2 Bury

Jabo Ibehre looked to fire the hosts level in spectacular fashion. A sharp turn on the edge of the box took the ball wide to the right. He smashed the ball on the half-volley, but it was always going over, not giving Murphy any problems between the sticks.

The hosts were down to 10 men 56 minutes into the encounter. The Cambridge goal scorer, Paul Lewis, received a second yellow after a tough challenge on Chris Stokes. Sarginson had no other option but to send the forward for an early bath!

Joe Dunne’s side almost drew level after 64 minutes. George Maris lifted an effort from the left, over Murphy looking for the far corner. Callum McFadzean was there on the line though, heading the ball clear to protect Bury’s one-goal cushion.

Nicky Maynard almost restored the two-goal cushion for Lowe’s side. Chris Stokes showed his passing range with a perfect ball over the top of the defence down the left into Byron Moore, who squared it to the forward. Maynard managed to make contact with the ball, but he could only find the post as Cambridge scrambled the ball away.

Telford threatened with his first touches of the ball. He received the ball in the box, but Deegan and Taylor were there to block the attempts, and then they cleared the ball and with it, the danger.

Cambridge levelled the scores through Greg Taylor. The ball fell to him in the edge of the box, and he rifled an effort into the roof of the net.

Despite plenty of late pressure from Ryan Lowe’s men, they couldn’t find the breakthrough as both sides had to settle for a point apiece.

FULL-TIME: Cambridge United 2-2 Bury


Cambridge United: Forde (GK), Carroll, Taft, Taylor, Deegan (C), Ibehre, Davies (88’ Dunk), Maris (70’ Osadebe), Lambe (70’ Amoo), Brown, Lewis

Unused Subs: Mitov (GK), O’Neil, Azeez, John

Bury: Murphy (GK), Stokes, Aimson, Thompson, Nicky Adams (C), Mayor, Styles (61’ O’Connell), Moore, McFadzean, O’Shea, Maynard (78’ Telford)

Unused Subs: Hudson (GK), Miller, Dagnall, Joe Adams, Danns

Attendance: 3,846, with 237 travelling Shakers! Thanks for your impeccable support this afternoon and we hope you had a safe trip home!!

Advertisement block