Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Bury 2 - 2 Mansfield Town

6 October 2018

Nicky Maynard’s brilliant brace rescued a point for Ryan Lowe’s Bury side who were behind twice to David Flitcroft’s Mansfield.

There was one change to the Bury starting eleven on a sunny October afternoon at the Energy Check Stadium at Gigg Lane. Attacking workhorse Chris Dagnall replaced Byron Moore to partner Nicky Maynard up front on his home debut.

The Shakers started the brighter of the two sides, with Maynard coming close to opening his Bury account. A well worked free-kick had Adams in on the right. He pulled the ball back into the danger area, but Maynard couldn't get to the ball first and Mansfield managed to get the ball away.

Despite being under pressure for the opening 10 minutes, the Stags managed to take the lead thanks to Danny Rose. Murphy didn't have the ball under complete control, allowing Rose to dispossess him. The ex-Shaker was able to roll the ball home into an empty net, but declined the opportunity to celebrate his goal against his former employers.

The opening goal gave Mansfield a lift, and they threatened the Bury goal again. Walker found Khan inside the area, and the latter managed an attempt on goal, but Joe Murphy was quick off his line to thwart the attacker exceptionally well.

CJ Hamilton was the next to go close for David Flitcroft's side, as he was picked out in the middle from a Danny Rose cross. Hamilton rose highest, but his header was off target, sailing easily over Murphy's crossbar.

Some superb defending from Mansfield kept their goal cushion. Adams whipped in a fantastic delivery from the right. CJ Hamilton did very well to hold off a battling McFadzean in the middle, but he couldn't win the ball and poke it home.

Danny Rose was hungry for more goals. The forward should have had a second on the 30-minute mark. Khan slipped the opening scorer in behind the Shakers defence. Rose beat Murphy with his shot, but also beat the post, keeping the score at 1-0 to the visitors.

The visitors came close to doubling their lead, again it was Rose with the chance. Bishop did well to pick the forward out at the back post, but his attempted header was off target, and the Shakers had a goal kick.

Captain Neil Danns looked to be the creative spark for the hosts as they looked to get back on level terms. He fired a ball into Dagnall, but the forward lost his balance while trying to control the ball. Danns then looked to thread Maynard through, unfortunately though the attempted ball was intercepted, and the Shakers remained a goal behind.

The Shakers were applying the pressure in the closing moments of the opening period, but unfortunately, they could not fashion a good chance to level the scores, and Mansfield took a one goal lead in at the break.


HALF-TIME: Bury 0-1 Mansfield Town

The Shakers, just like the first half, started in bright fashion. Nicky Maynard looked to dink the ball in behind Krystian Pearce for Dagnall. The latter battled well against the Stags captain, but Pearce was too strong for Dagnall, and he managed to get the ball away.

Mansfield were straight up the other end, and they were not far from doubling their lead. Otis Khan had the ball about 25 yards from goal. He created enough space to get a shot away, and his strike was just wide of the top corner.

It took the Shakers just 10 minutes into the second half to level the scores, with Nicky Maynard breaking his Shakers' duck in spectacular fashion. Adam Thompson headed the ball back across goal, and Maynard's acrobatic overhead kick flew past Olejnik, who had no chance of keeping it out!

The Shakers were starting to come forward with menace again. O'Shea and Adams linked up well down the right, as Bury vice-captain Adams looked to find a man in the box. Unfortunately for Ryan Lowe's men, the cross found a Mansfield player, who dealt with the threat well.

Some patient and smart build-up won a corner for the visitors. Timi Elsnik took the corner from the far side, and put the ball into the mixer, straight onto the head of Matt Pearson deep in the area. The Mansfield defender headed the ball down into the bottom corner, out of the reach of Joe Murphy in the Bury goal.

Mansfield looked to get the insurance goal as the game edged closer to the final 10 minutes. CJ Hamilton did well down the left to get in behind. He cut the ball back to opening scorer Rose, but some incredible work from Chris Stokes kept the deficit to just the one goal.

The Shakers were left furious as they thought they had a stone-wall penalty denied by the officials. Telford went down under pressure after receiving the ball, but the officials saw nothing wrong and the game continued, with the Shakers still just the one goal behind their visitors.

Jamie Barjonas got his home debut from the bench, and he looked to have an instant impact. He started an attack deep in the Mansfield half, taking the ball past a defender and playing Adams in on the right. Unfortunately, Adams' delivery couldn't find a white shirt in the box.

Danny Mayor, who had been a nuisance to the opposition as usual, looked to force an opening as we entered seven minutes of added time. He could only muster a corner from the by-line, as his cut-back was blocked.

The Shakers should have been level deep in stoppage time. Callum Styles was slipped in after incredible work from Danny Mayor, however the young Barnsley loanee couldn't find a way beyond Olejnik as he kept the ball out.

Moments later Ryan Lowe's side were level, and again it was Nicky Maynard with the goal. Maynard was found in the area, and he guided his effort beyond Olejnik into the bottom corner in the 94th minute.

Nicky Maynard's brace secured a deserved point for the Shakers, who had to come from behind twice despite dominating proceedings at home to Mansfield Town.

FULL-TIME: Bury 2-2 Mansfield Town

Bury: Murphy (GK), Stokes (Barjonas 82'), Aimson, Thompson, Adams, Mayor, Dagnall (Telford 69'), McFadzean, O'Shea, Danns (C) (Styles 75'), Maynard

Unused Subs: Hudson (GK), Miller, Dawson, Cooney

Mansfield Town: Olejnik (GK), Benning, Preston, Pearce (C), Bishop, Khan (Mellis 67'), Sweeney, Walker (Atkinson 61'), Elsnik, Hamilton, Rose (Butcher 83')

Unused Subs: Logan (GK), Sterling-James, Gibbens, Graham

Attendance: 3880 - with 640 Mansfield Town supporters

Advertisement block