Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Colchester United 1 - 2 Bury

29 September 2018

Bury held on to a 2-1 victory at the Colchester Community Stadium, after Luke Norris provided the Shakers with a scare after scoring a penalty in the final 10 minutes. The visitors were already 2 goals to the good before the consolation, thanks to Byron Moore and Chris Dagnall.

Ryan Lowe named just the one change to his starting eleven that fell to a narrow 1-0 defeat at home to Carlisle United last time out. New signing Nicky Maynard, announced in the build-up to the game, found himself a place on the bench. The former Premier League man did make an appearance from the bench, replacing Dagnall to make his debut with 22 minutes remaining.

The Shakers had the first chance of the game within the opening 5 minutes after some early pressure. Jay O'Shea battled his way through, but lost the ball under a challenge from Barnes, who had the ball in his hands before Nicky Adams could poke the loose ball home.

The pressure was maintained. Will Aimson found Byron Moore with a clever long ball. Moore then whipped in a dangerous delivery to the back stick, with Dagnall waiting and Stokes powering in from the far side. Both Bury players collided, along with United defender Frankie Kent, while trying to win the ball, and neither could convert the chance.

After Kent and Stokes received treatment, Colchester had their first real attack of the afternoon. A long ball forward found Norris who headed the ball down to into the path of Szmodics, the latter's effort was powerful and deflected. Bury 'keeper Joe Murphy was equal to the effort, holding on comfortably.

Jay O'Shea, playing in his new role, came close to breaking the deadlock again. The midfielder won a free kick 25 yards out from goal and central. O'Shea looked to bend the free kick into the top corner, however he was unable to muster enough dip on his effort as it was just over the Colchester bar.

A rather exciting opening 20 minutes for the neutral continued, as Colchester broke away for another attack of their own. Frank Nouble was slipped in down the right-hand-side of the box, his effort was low to Murphy's left, but the experienced shot-stopper was down quickly to gather the ball.

Ryan Lowe's side continued to cause Colchester problems, especially down the left. Adams targeted the back stick, Moore brought the ball down and cut it back to Stokes, however before he could get any effort properly away, Stokes was closed down, preventing any danger to the host's clean sheet.

The clean sheet wasn't intact for much longer, as Byron Moore kept up his away goal scoring form, making it 3 in 2 for the attacker away from the Energy Check Stadium at Gigg Lane. Dagnall found O'Shea, who superbly found Adams down the line. Barnes tried to come out to close down the Bury vice-captain, but he slipped while charging off his line. Adams then played the ball into Moore, who fired his effort into the roof of the net, leaving Barnes no chance!

Colchester almost hit back immediately, Courtney Senior burst into the box, before firing a low effort in. Joe Murphy, who was already on the floor, reacted instinctively to grab the ball and hold it tight to deny Senior and preserve the Shakers' clean sheet with half-time approaching.

Colchester had another chance, just before the fourth official indicated five minutes of additional time. Nicky Adams cleared a cross into the box, but only as far as Harry Pell 25-yards out from goal. The Colchester number 8 tried his luck, but his effort sailed over Murphy's bar with ease.

Despite plenty of late Colchester pressure, the Shakers defended resolutely in additional time, as they went into the break leading the high-flying hosts 1-0.

HALF-TIME: Colchester United 0-1 Bury

Ryan Lowe's side continued in the same vein after the break. Goal scorer Byron Moore created some space for himself on the right. He tried to find Dagnall in the box, but the hosts turned the ball behind for a corner before the Bury number 11 could reach the ball.

Colchester then came forward themselves. Courtney Senior raced away from O'Shea down the right, he found Szmodics in the box, but he couldn't turn the ball beyond Murphy from a tight angle.

Dagnall came close to doubling the lead for the Shakers. McFadzean found himself in plenty of space down the left. The wing-back found Dagnall, but Barnes was out quick, allowing the forward no time on the ball.

Experienced forward Dagnall didn't let the miss faze him. After a quick breakaway, he found himself on the ball with plenty of time and space in the box. The tireless forward guided the ball beyond the outstretched Barnes in the Colchester goal, seeing his effort over the line with the aid of the inside of the post. Doubling his side's lead, just 7 minutes into the second period.

Nicky Maynard almost made an impact on his debut. He led a breakaway, trying to find Moore in behind. The latter almost made it on the end of the ball, but Barnes was quick to react and collected the ball.

Colchester had a lifeline with 8 minutes remaining. Luke Norris won a penalty for his side after Stokes brought him down. He stepped up to take the spot-kick himself, sending Murphy the wrong way as Bury's lead was halved.

The Shakers were looking incredibly threatening on the break during additional time. Telford broke away superbly. He played a one-two with Stokes, and he just could not get enough bend on the ball to find the far corner.

Ryan Lowe's side saw the game out brilliantly, as they held on to all 3 points to make it 6 points from their last two away games, thanks to strikes from Byron Moore and Chris Dagnall. Although Luke Norris bagged a consolation for the hosts from the spot late on.


FULL-TIME: Colchester United 1-2 Bury

Colchester United: Barnes (GK), Jackson, Prosser (C), Kent (Eastman 9') (Dickenson 46'), Senior, Pell, Norris, Szmodics, Comley (Mandron 70'), Vincent-Young, Nouble

Unused Subs: Ross (GK), Wright, Gondoh, Collins

Bury: Murphy (GK), Stokes, Aimson, Thompson, O'Connell (McFadzean 46'), Adams, Mayor, Dagnall (Maynard 68'), Moore (Telford 85'), O'Shea, Danns (C)

Unused Subs: Hudson (GK), Dawson, Beckford, Styles

ATTENDANCE: 3161 - including 162 travelling Shakers, thanks for your incredible travelling support again this afternoon!!

Advertisement block