Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Bury 0-3 Cambridge United

2 April 2019

The Shakers fell to a 3-0 defeat at the hands of Cambridge United this evening.

Ryan Lowe restored Club Captain Neil Danns to the starting line-up, along with Will Aimson and Byron Moore.

The Shakers started quickly on the front foot through Moore and Jay O’Shea. The former found Bury’s number twenty-six, who then drove across the edge of the box before curling an effort just off target.

Cambridge United had a lot of pressure to soak up early on. Mitov fumbled Aimson’s looping header, leaving it to a teammate to clear off the line. Then over on the left-hand-side of the box, O’Shea saw an effort kept out at the near post before Moore looked to curl one into the far corner, his effort needed a block on the six-yard line as he looked to have the ‘keeper beaten.

It wasn’t the start to the evening the Shakers wanted, with Cambridge taking the lead in the sixteenth minute. A corner from the right caused the Shakers problems; a handful of blocks wasn’t enough to avert the danger as Alex Jones was able to slot the ball home for the opener.

The response from Ryan Lowe’s side was a good one, carrying on bossing the ball, penning the visitors in their half. Unfortunately, a clear-cut chance was lacking, with Cambridge being able to hang onto their goal lead for the time being.

Despite the ball being up the other end of the pitch, Murphy was able to show his alertness in the Bury goal. Adam Thompson was dispossessed on the edge of his area over on the right by David Amoo. The Cambridge United man then drove at the Bury ‘keeper who was equal to his effort with a smart stop.

Amoo was again on the end of a defensive mix-up, this time on the left. He carried the ball forward, bearing down on Murphy before his placed effort was beyond the post.

On the third time of asking, David Amoo was able to double the lead for the visitors. He was slipped in behind through the middle before sliding an effort low to Murphy’s right and into the back of the net eleven minutes from time.

Ryan Lowe’s side continued to come forward, this time O’Shea played a delightful ball through to Maynard who was away from the defence. He looked to place an effort into the bottom corner, but Mitov was down quickly to keep the effort out.

HALF-TIME: Bury 0-2 Cambridge United

Just like the first half, the Shakers kept Colin Calderwood’s side penned into their own half while seeing plenty of the ball. It was just that final ball that continued to elude the Bury playmakers, as the hunt to get back into the encounter continued.

Byron Moore and Jay O’Shea were able to show off their ability. First, O’Shea dinked a beautiful ball in behind to Moore, who used his blistering pace to get onto the end of the ball. He drove at the defence, but his cut-back from the left-hand-side of the area was cleared by Louis John.

Moore continued to cause problems down the left, driving at the visiting defence with pace and strength, he delivered an extremely dangerous low cross which was begging to be turned home by a white shirt. Unfortunately, Cambridge were first to meet the ball and subsequently cleared the danger.

Cambridge looked to hit the Shakers on the counter, the opening scorer Jones was away down the right, but Murphy was on hand to keep the effort out.

With little under twenty minutes remaining, the visitors had a third. A corner in from the right travelled all the way through to Maris who was central and fifteen-yards from goal. His well-hit effort was too much for Murphy as he curled the ball into the top corner.

The Shakers still pushed to get into the match. The ball was worked to Telford, who hit a vicious curled effort on the turn. His strike looked destined to nestle in the top corner, however, Mitov was somehow able to push the ball behind.

Jay O’Shea was the next Shaker to come close to beating Mitov in the Cambridge goal. The ball was swept out to him on the left, he cut inside and almost had the visiting ‘keeper beat with a powerful strike from the edge of the area. Unfortunately for the Shakers, Mitov was able to get two strong hands to the ball.

FULL-TIME: Bury 0-3 Cambridge United


Bury: Murphy (GK), Aimson (33’ O’Connell), Thompson, Adams (69’ Telford), Rossiter, Moore, Wharton (46’ Cooney), McFadzean, O’Shea, Danns (C), Maynard

Unused Subs: Moloney (GK), Stokes, Omotayo, Lavery

Cambridge United: Mitov (GK), Halliday, Taft (46’ John), Taylor (C), Amoo (65’ Iberhe), Dunk, Maris, Lambe, Brown, Jones (76’ Coulson), Doyle-Hayes

Unused Subs: Forde (GK), Carroll, Darling, Davies

Attendance: 3,386, with 104 Cambridge fans. Thank you for your support tonight.

Advertisement block