Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Bury 2-0 Colchester United

13 April 2019

Dom Telford's brace saw the Shakers return to winning ways with an important 2-0 victory. The result guaranteed a play-off spot at least for the Shakers, as the race for automatic promotion to Sky Bet League One continues.

Ryan Lowe named four changes to his side from Carlisle as Byron Moore, Eoghan O'Connell, Adam Thompson and Ryan Cooney were replaced by Callum McFadzean, Will Aimson, Skipper Neil Danns and Dom Telford.

Colchester got off to a quick start. Courtney Senior drove down the right before delivering a low cross. Thankfully for the Shakers, it was cleared before Frank Nouble was able to steer home.

Then, the visitors tested Joe Murphy as Tom Lapslie struck a dangerous effort on target. The shot-stopper was on hand to tip the ball over for a corner.

Neil Danns won the ball back expertly in the defensive half, setting a swift counter-attack off. The ball was swept out to Nicky Adams, who delivered a brilliant cross, however it was just out of the reach of Telford in the middle. Ryan Jackson then almost turned the ball into his own net at the back post, as the Shakers increased the pressure.

Jay O'Shea went close from a dead-ball situation. Nicky Maynard won the free-kick twenty-five yards from goal, allowing O'Shea to try and bend an effort into the top corner. Unfortunately for Bury, it was just wide of the mark.

Lapslie threw his body on the line to deny Bury an opener. Danns beat his man well on the left, dinking a brilliant cross back into the middle. Rene Gilmartin was able to tip the ball away from Telford, however, it fell to O'Shea who had two strikes blocked.

Fresh from his two goals last time out, Chris Stokes looked to continue his form in front of goal. He got on the end of a Nicky Adams free-kick, heading wide of Gilmartin's post.

Telford was unlucky again. A delivery by Nicky Adams beat Gilmartin, and looked destined to give Telford a free header, just yards from the goal. Unfortunately, it was again intercepted and flicked just out of reach of Bury's number eighteen.

Courtney Senior had a strike on goal during first half stoppage time. The effort had power behind it, but Danns was there to get a vital block in.

HALF-TIME: Bury 0-0 Colchester United

Bury got off to a quick start in the second period. Telford beat the offside trap, but his one-on-one with Gilmartin ended with the 'keeper on top, as he kept the forward's near-post strike out.

Minutes later, the game produced the first goal. A deep corner from Adams was nodded back across goal by Stokes, into the path of Telford. He powered a header into the back of the net to take his tally to thirteen for the season.

Colchester looked to hit back quickly, with Sam Saunders picking the ball up twenty-five yards out. His curling effort had Murphy beaten, but thankfully for the Shakers, the crossbar came to the rescue.

Nouble then came close to levelling the scores following a throw-in from in front of the South Stand. The ball was worked to the forward, who turned and scuffed an effort on target, not worrying Murphy between the sticks.

Dom Telford doubled his tally for the afternoon following a brilliant cross from Nicky Maynard. The Bury top-scorer turned provider, and Telford's diving header was too powerful for Gilmartin to keep out.

Telford was having an exceptional game. This time, he was on the end of a Caolan Lavery flick-on, before lifting the ball over the defender. He was blocked off when he tried to go around the man, but the Referee waived away the protests for a penalty.

Murphy had little to do in the second half, but he was called into action in the eighty-eighth minute. Sam Saunders stood over a free-kick, almost finding the top corner, but a tremendous save from the Bury 'keeper kept the clean sheet intact.

FULL-TIME: Bury 2-0 Colchester United

Bury: Murphy (GK), Stokes, Aimson, Adams, Rossiter, Telford (89' Omotayo), Wharton, McFadzean (46' Moore), O'Shea, Danns (C), Maynard (81' Lavery)

Unused Subs: Moloney (GK), Thompson, Cooney, Hulme

Colchester United: Gilmartin (GK), Jackson, Lapslie (77' Norris), Prosser (C) (Eastman 65'), Kent, Senior, Szmodics, Mandron (75' Dickenson), Vincent-Young, Saunders, Nouble

Unused Subs: Barnes (GK), Stevenson, Chilvers, Eisa

Attendance: 3,898 with 317 from Colchester United. Thank you for your brilliant support this afternoon!!

Advertisement block