Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Preston North End 0-2 Bury

8 February 2019

Two quick-fire goals from Bright Amoateng and Femi Seriki secured Bury’s first Quarter-Final appearance in the FA Youth Cup for 53 years.

Edward Jones had to be alert early on as a set-piece from a dangerous area just outside the box was played into the area, he was first to move towards the ball, clearing it commandingly.

The Shakers had to soak up plenty of early pressure, having to throw their bodies on the line to keep the ball out. Recent graduate Callum Hulme was then on hand to hook the ball clear in the direction of Aaron Brown.

Thirteen minutes into the fixture, Mark Edwards-Williams was tested for the fist time.  Walker cut in from the right, firing a low shot on goal. The Bury shot-stopper was able to do just that with ease, collecting the ball and holding it tightly.

A brilliant save from Corcoran kept the scores level fifteen minutes in. Femi Seriki sent the defender one way then another, before drilling a right-footed effort on goal from 12-yards. The ‘keeper got a hand to the ball to tip it beyond the post.

Callum Hulme had a good chance to put Bury ahead after Corcoran picked up a back-pass. The resulting indirect free-kick was played off to Hulme who drilled an effort on goal that was blocked.

Both sides saw a lot of the ball, but neither ‘keeper was really tested in the opening half hour in what was a rather tight affair.

The Shakers almost had a stroke of luck when Jack Hatton curled a delivery into the box from the right-hand-side of the box, almost curling beyond Corcoran who recovered well at his back stick.

HALF-TIME: Preston North End 0-0 Bury

It was almost a good start to the second period for the Shakers with Cameron Hill winning the ball back on the halfway line, starting the counter attack. He slipped the ball into Adams who couldn’t keep his strike down as he missed the target.

Substitute Bright Amoateng made an instant impact, rifling a low effort beyond a helpless Corcoran, as the power was too much for the ‘keeper.

The forward was involved again, causing havoc down the right before cutting the ball back to Femi Seriki, allowing the under-16 player to slot home for a quick-fire Bury double.

The Shakers were in the ascendency, as Femi Seriki terrorised the North End defence, drilling a ball into the middle, almost forcing Lewis Earl into turning the ball into his own net.

Ryan Kidd and Mark Litherland’s side weren’t settling at 2-0, with a couple of attempts from Joe Adams and Amoateng giving Corcoran more to think about.

FULL-TIME: Preston North End 0-2 Bury  

Preston North End: Corcoran (GK), Simmons, Coulton, Baxter, Earl, McFayden, Dolan, O’Reilly (C), Potts (Brannigan), Pollard (66’ Jolly), Walker

Unused Subs: Cottam (GK), Ngongo, McManus

Bury: Edwards-Williams (GK), Hatton, Edward Jones, Callum Hulme, Allardyce, Shotton, Adams (C), Skinner, Brown (59’ Amoateng), Hill (71’ Callum Jones), Seriki

Unused Subs: Ondoa, Copping, Collins

Attendance: 1,024, thanks for coming to support the lads tonight, see you at Morecombe tomorrow!

Advertisement block