Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Accrington Stanley 2-4 Bury

8 January 2019

The Shakers took another step closer to Wembley thanks to a second half turn around! Ryan Lowe’s men were 2 goals down at the interval, but a Dom Telford brace and goals from Nicky Maynard and Jay O’Shea, ensured that Bury were in the hat for Thursday’s Quarter-Final draw. It was the second time this season that opponents in a higher division were toppled by the Shakers.

Ryan Lowe made four changes to Saturday’s side that came away from Yeovil with all three points thanks to Nicky Maynard’s goal. Eoghan O’Connell was restored to the starting eleven as Adam Thompson took the armband in the absence of Neil Danns and Nicky Adams. Scholars Scott Moloney, Joe Adams and Callum Hulme were named amongst the substitutes.

Murphy had to be alert to race off his line after 4 minutes. A smart one-two saw Zanzala almost in behind, but Murphy threw himself at the ball to catch it, getting kicked by the forward in the process.

Stanley had to clear one off their line straight after. Some good link up play saw McFadzean have space on the left-hand side byline, his cross was a dangerous one which was cleared off the line before it could be bundled in by an ink-blue shirt.

The hosts took the lead inside the opening ten minutes. Jordan Clark picked the ball up on the edge of the area before arrowing a strike into the top corner, giving Murphy little chance of keeping it out.

Eoghan O’Connell, playing in a more advanced role, looked to fire the Shakers back level with a volley from just inside the area. The ball dropped down on the Irishman who couldn’t keep his effort on target as the ball flew over for a goal-kick.

Zanzala was looking dangerous for the hosts. He spun off Stokes and looked to be in on goal. It took some brilliant play from Adam Thompson to make up the ground and take the ball away from the Accrington number nine, winning a free-kick in the process.

Despite being under plenty of pressure, Accrington almost doubled their advantage through Sean McConville. His free-kick almost had Murphy beaten, but the ‘keeper used his crossbar to help him keep the ball under control.

Half an hour in, and the Shakers almost drew level. Ryan Cooney burst down the right before drilling a ball across the face of goal, but an Accrington defender managed to get a touch on the ball to divert the ball away from Telford and Lavery in the middle.

Against the run of play, the hosts made it 2-0 through Billy Kee. McConville played the ball to Clark who was advancing down the right. He put the ball back across goal, giving Kee a tap-in at the far post.

HALF-TIME: Accrington Stanley 2-0 Bury

The first chance of the second period fell to Adam Thompson. He got on the end of a Jay O’Shea corner, but he only managed to glance his effort wide of the target.

Dominic Telford pulled one back for the Shakers ten minutes into the second period.  He picked the ball up outside the area, striking a low effort that beat Jonny Maxted via the post, as the comeback began.

A minute later the scores were level. Two minutes after coming on, Maynard edged ahead of Jay O’Shea as the club’s top scorer as he received the ball from Telford, before striking an effort beyond the Stanley ‘keeper as a quickfire Bury double had the scores level.

There was still a job to do at the other end for Ryan Lowe’s men. Zanzala appeared to have been found free at the back post, but a brilliant last-ditch interception from Stokes took the ball away from the attacker who was lurking.

The Shakers completed the comeback through Dom Telford again. The forward just loves this competition as he took his tally to six goals in the Checkatrade Trophy. Nicky Maynard was slipped in down the right by Jay O’Shea. The forward then drilled a ball low to the back post where Telford was on hand to tap the ball home.

Ryan Lowe’s side were hungry for a fourth goal. Nicky Maynard’s low drive hit the post and came back out before O’Shea powered his way into the area, flashing an effort across goal and just wide of the post.

The fourth goal did come with only six minutes remaining. Danny Mayor was picked out by Jay O’Shea before rifling an effort beyond a helpless Maxted.

Zanzala almost grabbed a late consolation for John Coleman’s side as he flashed a low effort across Murphy’s goal and just past the post in the closing seconds.

FULL-TIME: Accrington Stanley 2-4 Bury


Accrington Stanley: Maxted (GK), Hughes, Richards-Everton, Clark, Brown (71’ Finley), Zanzala, McConville, Wood (80’ Sousa), Mohammed (45’ Mingoia), Conneely (C), Kee

Unused Subs: Savin (GK), Williams, Mangan, Barlaser

Bury: Murphy (GK), Miller, Stokes, Thompson (C), O’Connell, Mayor (90+1’ Joe Adams), Cooney, Telford (79’ Moore), McFadzean, O’Shea, Lavery (54’ Maynard)

Unused Subs: Moloney (GK), Aimson, Omotayo, Hulme

Attendance: 1,136 with 414 travelling to support the Shakers! Thanks for your support yet again this evening!!

Advertisement block