Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Forest Green Rovers 1-2 Bury

19 January 2019

Bury made it a hat-trick of comeback wins after grabbing the victory for the third consecutive game after falling behind. Reece Brown’s opener was cancelled out by Jay O’Shea before a delightful Nicky Maynard strike ensured the Shakers would leave Gloucestershire with all three points, while still keeping the 100% record in tact for January.

Ryan Lowe didn’t make any changes to the starting side that won the LMA LG Performance of the Week award following a 4-3 home victory against MK Dons. The only change came on the bench, with Caolan Lavery, recovered from a dead thigh, replacing Callum Hulme amongst the substitutes.

Callum McFadzean lost possession on the half-way line allowing the hosts in behind. His turn of pace was incredible to make the ground back up and put a last-ditch challenge in to win the ball back, a follow-up chip from Doidge was over Murphy’s bar.

 The Shakers started brightly, Chris Stokes in particular with balls in behind. The Rovers defence were able to deal with the passes just as a deflection almost had Telford in one-on-one.

The first real chance for Bury came 21 minutes in. Danny Mayor played the ball down the line to McFadzean before a drilled ball across the box found Telford; he was crowded out by the hosts’ defence before seeing a shot blocked.

Forest Green Rovers came close to taking the lead as a cross from Shephard found Mills at the back post. He could only put his effort wide of the post, if it had gone in it wouldn’t have counted as the Referee blew for a foul.

The hosts took the lead just before the half-hour mark. More dangerous play down the right from Forest Green Rovers saw the ball eventually fall to Brown, who fired the ball home via a deflection from 12-yards out.

Adam Thompson had to be on hand as the ball was played through to Christian Doidge. He looked to have a clear shot on Murphy’s goal but the Bury defender had other ideas, getting his foot in, preventing the former Bolton man the chance to pull the trigger.

The Shakers were looking to get back on level terms through Nicky Adams down the right. The club vice-captain whipped a delivery into the middle, but Montgomery was on hand to collect the ball and end the Bury attack.

Another chance was created for Forest Green Rovers via Liam Shephard down the right. A crisp ball into Williams allowed him to turn before curling an effort over Murphy’s bar.

Some smart interplay between Stokes, Mayor and McFadzean allowed the latter to put another delivery into the middle. Unfortunately, a deflection saw the ball into the arms of Montgomery.

The first half ended with Will Aimson sending a looping header which Montgomery could easily catch following a Nicky Adams corner.

HALF-TIME: Forest Green Rovers 1-0 Bury

There was an early scare in the second period for the Shakers as Adams’ misplaced back pass was picked up by Williams who rounded Murphy but couldn’t get an effort away. An eventual pass across the box was cleared by the Bury defence who remained a goal down.

The hosts continued to threaten. Their captain Lloyd James flashed a dangerous cross into the middle that beat everyone, including Murphy and his post.

 With 21 minutes remaining the scores were level. Byron Moore got on the ball for the first time since coming on, scaring the Forest Green Rovers defenders with his blistering pace before slipping the ball to O’Shea 25 yards from goal. He went beyond multiple defenders to have a one-on-one before coolly slotting the ball beyond Montgomery.

The goal put a spring in Bury’s step. Eoghan O’Connell turned his man exceptionally well before a through ball found Moore. The latter then burst into the area before puling a ball back which beat everyone in the middle and was just out of the reach of O’Shea at the back as the hosts got the ball clear.

Reece Brown was looking to double his tally for the afternoon as he held the defenders off before firing a low effort on goal which Murphy was equal to.

Another comeback was complete when Byron Moore and Caolan Lavery worked together to find Maynard in the area. He stopped the ball dead with his first touch with his back to goal. The striker then swivelled and lasered a strike into the top corner on his left foot, giving his side the lead with just seven minutes remaining!

FULL-TIME: Forest Green Rovers 1-2 Bury


Forest Green Rovers: Montgomery (GK), Shephard, James (C) (87’ Mondal), Rawson, Winchester, Doidge (81’ Campbell), Brown, Williams (71’ McCoulsky), Gunning, McGinley, Mills

Unused Subs: Ward (GK), Collins, Digby, Reid

Bury: Murphy (GK), Stokes, Aimson, Thompson, Adams, Mayor, Telford (68’ Lavery), McFadzean (59’ Moore), O’Shea, Danns (C) (59’ O’Connell), Maynard

Unused Subs: Moloney (GK), Miller, Cooney, Omotayo

Attendance: 2,940 with 571 Shakers. Thanks for your outstanding support this afternoon!!

Advertisement block