Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report FA Youth Cup: Peterborough United 0-1 Bury

17 January 2019

Ryan Kidd’s side made it to the fifth round of the FA Youth Cup for a second time in two years after Bright Amoateng’s first half goal saw off the 10 men of Peterborough.

The Shakers were denied a penalty in the opening five minutes, as some smart link-up play between Seriki and Amoateng saw the latter in behind the defence on the right-hand side. He was taken down, but the referee said no penalty.

The hosts dominated the opening period, however created little that tested Mark Edwards-Williams in the Bury goal.

The first real chance of the affair fell to Bury. A brilliant defence-splitting ball found Seriki down the right. He flashed a ball across goal and Frazer Garner almost fired the ball into his own net. The ball was behind for a corner; Callum Hulme found Saul Shotton, who couldn’t direct the ball on target.

After a lot of defending, the Shakers were threatening with every attack. This time Bright Amoateng burst in behind the defence, before Blackmore rushed off his line to get to the ball and turn it away.

Mark Edwards-Williams had to be alert to thwart a Posh attack. A ball was played in behind but the ‘keeper was quickly down to smother the ball.

Continued attacking play from the visitors brought about the opening goal. A defensive error was pounced upon by Bright who raced away before slotting a cool finish beyond the ‘keeper.

After winning the ball back superbly, Saul Shotton curled a brilliant ball beyond the defence into Hatton. Unfortunately, the latter was unable to get the ball under full control and the hosts won a free-kick.

HALF-TIME: Peterborough United 0-1 Bury

The second half continued with Bury dominating the exchanges. Skipper Joe Adams raced away from the defence following a Jones through ball, he then fired an effort low at goal. Blackmore kept it out with his feet and a long-range follow-up by Hulme stung the hands of the ‘keeper.

Some nice little flicks almost saw Shackleton almost in behind, it took a brilliant last-ditch challenge from Sam Allardyce to keep the hosts at bay.

The Shakers went close again, this time Aaron Skinner almost curled an effort into the bottom corner. Fortunately for the Posh ‘keeper, the Bury midfielder could only find the side netting.

Bury captain Joe Adams dinked the ball in behind to Amoateng who looked hungry to double his tally. It took a fantastic tackle from Frazer Garner to quash the move.

Joe Adams was tirelessly pushing the Peterborough defence, but couldn’t quite find the space he needed in the area to get his shot away.

83 minutes into the tie the hosts were reduced to 10 men. Jack Gurney lunged in on Joe Adams in front of the technical area, giving O’Donnell no choice but to produce the red card.

Aaron Brown raced away in stoppage time, but again Garner was on hand to stop the Bury attack as the hunt for a second, game killing goal continued.

FULL-TIME: Peterborough United 0-1 Bury



Peterborough: Blackmore (GK), Douglas, Fosu, Barker (C), Garner, Jones (73’ Harris), Rolt (60’ Clarke), Gurney, Shackleton, Brookes (46’ Jones), Burrows

Unused Subs: Allen (GK), Ruzdvizo

Bury: Edwards-Williams, Seriki, Hatton, Copping, Allardyce, Shotton, Adams (C) (88’ Ondoa), Skinner, Amoateng (82’ Brown), Jones, Hulme

Unused Subs: Thompson, Jones, Collins

Advertisement block