Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Paul Wilkinson Makes Gigg Lane Debut

25 July 2019

Paul Wilkinson made his Gigg Lane debut as Bury Gaffer on Wednesday evening, watching his side fall to a 3-0 defeat to Championship side Blackburn Rovers. Despite the scoreline, the Shakers put in a good performance against Mowbray's men.

Harry Bunn looked dangerous on the left wing for Bury, taking the ball around the Blackburn defence before unleashing an effort on goal. Unfortunately for the forward, his low effort was kept out by Leutwiler. 

Blackburn did look dangerous early on, and it took a brilliant interception from Kay to temporarily stop the attack, putting the ball out for a corner. Rovers took the set-piece quickly to Rothwell who looked to fire one across Garratt, however, his strike was off target as the scores remained level. 

Bunn continued to cause problems for Rankin-Costello down the left, he danced around the full-back who pulled him down on the edge of the box. Bunn took the resulting free-kick himself, powering the ball across the face of goal, unfortunately, a Bury player couldn't make contact with the ball as Blackburn scrambled it away. 

Bury continued their good start after some smart play between Dagnall, Cooper and Bunn. The latter delivered a dangerous cross into the middle, but Archer just couldn't beat the Rovers defender in the air. The second ball was then contested, but the Referee blew for a foul on Leutwiler. 

Blackburn then took the lead through Joe Rothwell. He struck a venomous effort on goal, finding the top corner from outside the area, giving Garratt no chance in-between the Bury sticks. 

The visitors then doubled their lead through Ben Brereton who was on hand to nod the ball beyond the Shakers 'keeper from close range, completing a well-worked goal for Tony Mowbray's side.

HALF-TIME: Bury 0-2 Blackburn

Bury weren't giving up against Blackburn, with Jordan Archer trying to lead the comeback. Looking to add to his goal at Nantwich he tried to force a way through, however, he was unable to hold off both of the Rovers defenders that were on him as they then won the ball back for the visitors.

Rovers were on the hunt for a third goal after sixty-seven minutes, but they had no joy as Danzell Gravenberch was on hand to thwart the attack expertly.  

The Bury forwards didn't allow the defenders and 'keeper to spend much time on the ball, pressing them brilliantly. For the second time during the game, Dagnall almost forced the mistake from Leutwiler. 

Garratt was called into action again late on after Adam Armstrong cut inside from the wing. His effort was low, and Garratt was on hand to stop the forward from adding the third.

However, just before full-time, Armstrong did make it three for Blackburn. Bradley Dack split the Bury defence with a sublime through ball, finding Armstrong who calmly slotted the ball home.

FULL-TIME: Bury 0-3 Blackburn Rovers

Attendance: 1351 with 622 Blackburn fans. Thank you for your support!

Advertisement block