Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Bury 1-5 Liverpool

6 March 2019

The Shakers bowed out of the FA Youth Cup at the Quarter-Final stage after doing the football club proud. A classy Liverpool team were too much on the night and fought to a 5-1 win.

Liverpool were almost off to a quick start just like in previous rounds. A looped ball into the path of Bobby Duncan saw the attacker attempt an acrobatic strike on goal, he made connection with the ball, but the over-head kick was blocked by Saul Shotton.

After a rather tense opening, Liverpool made the breakthrough with sixteen minutes on the clock. Bobby Duncan curled a great ball around Saul Shotton to find strike partner Paul Galtzel, and the Reds’ Skipper calmly buried an effort low past Holden from the left-hand-side of the box.

Callum Hulme looked to create an opening with a sumptuous backheel inside the Liverpool box. He almost found Femi Seriki, but he couldn’t quite get on the end of the pass as the visitors cleared.

James Holden had to be alert to keep Duncan out. After providing an assist for the first goal, the ball was played into the Liverpool forward just inside the Bury area. Liverpool’s forward struck a dangerous effort on goal, but the ‘keeper was equal to it, getting down quick to his left.

There was a hairy moment in the Bury box after a very dangerous ball came in from the left, forcing Allardyce to play it; thankfully, he just about got the ball behind.

The Shakers were looking dangerous. Aaron Skinner delivered a peach of a ball into the middle, aimed towards Bright Amoateng, but unfortunately it was cut out just before reaching Bury’s number nine.

Just before the break, the visitors had a second. A mix-up at the back allowed Jake Cain to profit, racing onto the loose ball before slotting an effort low into the back of the net.

HALF-TIME: Bury 0-2 Liverpool

The Reds came close to a quick start to the second period. Abdi Sharif picked the ball up on the right-hand-side, drilling a ball across the face of goal. It was begging for a touch for a third Liverpool goal, but it beat everyone and was behind for a goal kick.

Sharif was proving a real outlet for Liverpool on the right in the second period. Another low cross almost brought about the third; Duncan received the ball, but his flick goal wards was inches wide of the mark.

Twelve minutes into the second half, it was three for Liverpool. Clarkson had the ball over on the right, before delivering into the middle. Glatzel was on hand to nod home his second of the evening from close range.

Sixty-six minutes in, the Shakers had a lifeline. Brilliant work from Skinner saw a low cross just elude Femi Seriki, but Joe Adams was on the follow-up to delightfully curl a strike into the top corner.

Glatzel was on the hunt for a hat-trick; he was slipped the ball inside the area, one-on-one with Holden, but Bury’s ‘keeper did brilliantly to keep the ball out, sending it for a corner. The corner came in and broke to Rhys Williams who fired the ball home from 12 yards via a deflection.

The Shakers weren’t giving up. Callum Hulme stood over a 25-yard free-kick, he beat Jaros in the Liverpool goal, but unfortunately, he hit the upright as the Reds were able to clear.

Bobby Duncan got a late goal after a late through ball allowed it to be squared to the forward who slotted home into the empty net.

FULL-TIME: Bury 1-5 Liverpool


Bury: Holden (GK), Seriki (78’ Brown), Hatton, Copping, Allardyce, Shotton (61’ Edward Jones), Adams (C), Skinner, Amoateng, Hulme, Callum Jones (65’ Hill)

Unused Subs: Edwards-Williams (GK), Ondoa

Liverpool: Jaros, Walls, Larouci, Rhys Williams, Boyes, Clarkson, Sharif, Cain, Glatzel (C), Duncan (88’ O’Rourke), Dixon-Bonner

Unused Subs: Kelly (GK), Ritaccio, Tagseth, Neco Williams

Attendance: 765 – thanks for your brilliant support for our lads tonight!

Advertisement block