Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Stevenage 0-1 Bury

9 March 2019

The Shakers left it late to grab maximum points at the LAMEX Stadium as Nicky Maynard’s ninety-fourth minute header broke the deadlock to secure a 1-0 win for Bury!

Ryan Lowe named three changes to Tuesday’s team as Telford, Mayor and Moore made way for Skipper Neil Danns, Lavery and Maynard.

Moses Makasi had a brilliant chance to give his side the lead after just three minutes. The ball was cut back to him from the left, finding Makasi in plenty of space, his first touch was woeful, and Adam Thompson was on hand to clear.

A brilliant, quick Shakers move presented a brilliant chance to Maynard. McFadzean played a long ball up to Lavery, who used his chest to get the ball to Maynard, but his effort was wide from just inside the area.

Another chance fell the way of Nicky Maynard. Adams squared the ball to Lavery, who poked the ball into the path of Maynard. The forward struck a low effort on goal, but nothing that was too troubling to Farman who collected the ball low.

The opening quarter produced very little in the way of opportunities, however, a low ball in from the left found Makasi in the Bury box, this time he could only fire wide of Murphy’s post.

Neil Danns was the next Bury player to have an effort on goal.  A smart free-kick found him on the edge of the area, before he curled an effort goal wards, forcing Farman into a save.

It was a half of little chances, with the biggest cheer before the forty-second minute coming when the Assistant Referee had to be changed.

Makasi was the man who was getting the chances for the hosts. He looked to profit from a defensive mishap, but his low strike when one-on-one with Murphy was expertly stopped by the ‘keeper with his legs.

There was almost late drama in the four added minutes at the end of the first period. Nicky Adams delivered a cross into the path of Lavery, who just couldn’t sort his legs out to make contact, allowing the hosts to clear.

HALF-TIME: Stevenage 0-0 Bury

Just over two minutes into the second half, O’Connell looked to replicate his heroics from the first fixture as O’Shea laid the ball off to him. He struck it sweetly, but unfortunately beyond the upright as the ball was always rising from twenty yards.

Alex Revell came close to breaking the deadlock when he met a ball into the middle. He powered a header towards goal, but Murphy was able to palm the ball into the floor and catch it to bring an end to the attack.

Another game and another brilliant defensive display from Jordan Rossiter. The midfielder was always on hand to clear the ball from dangerous areas, cutting out a reverse ball to John Hunt, and with it, any threat to the Shakers goal.

Nicky Maynard released Lavery down the channel, the latter tried to force his way infield after breaking beyond the back line, but Scott Cuthbert recovered well to marshal Lavery out of play.

It was a tight, scrappy affair, neither side were able to create many decent opportunities throughout as it was a day for the defenders, with the game finely poised entering the final fifteen minutes.

With just ten minutes remaining, the hosts should have been ahead. Jordan Gibson was slipped through into plenty of space inside the Bury area. Murphy raced off his line and the Stevenage man dinked the ball over the ‘keeper, but also over the bar.

There were incredible scenes with just sixty seconds remaining on the clock! Jordan Rossiter drilled a cross into the middle, Telford’s header looped to Adam Thompson who nodded back across goal into the path of Nicky Maynard who scored his nineteenth goal of the season, powering a header beyond a helpless Farman to collect all three points for Ryan Lowe’s side.

FULL-TIME: Stevenage 0-1 Bury


Stevenage: Farman (GK), James-Wildin, Hunt, Cuthbert, Byrom (78’ McKee), Revell (C) (89’ Adebayo), Chair, Iontton, Makasi (67’ Gibson), Guthrie, Wilkinson

Unused Subs: Byrne (GK), Timlin, Henry, Martin

Bury: Murphy (GK), Thompson, O’Connell, Adams (60’ Moore), Rossiter, Wharton, McFadzean, O’Shea, Danns (C) (76’ Omotayo), Lavery (66’ Telford), Maynard

Unused Subs: Moloney (GK), Miller, Stokes, Cooney

Attendance: 3,540 – thanks for your brilliant support again today Shakers!

Advertisement block